AnsweredAssumed Answered

mates flip in different configurations

Question asked by Andrew Michell on Mar 28, 2020
Latest reply on Mar 29, 2020 by Elmar Klammer

I have a mechanism in which a control wheel can be placed in any position from 0 to about 225°. I have various configurations which fix it at different angles. Initially I defined those positions using an angle dimension between two planes, but discovered that in changing from one configuration to another Solidworks cannot tell the difference between 10° and 190° - or presumably, that it does not always measure the angle to the same side of the planes. On the advice of my VAR I then created a sketch like a slice of pie, defining the angle subtended at the apex, and then mating my wheel to one edge of that slice of pie. Now when I change from one configuration to another  the slice of pie in the sketch does always have the correct angle, but the mate between the wheel and the line flips..... so I am back to square one.

I have had this problem before, and I suspect so have countless other users. There must be an easy way to ensure that the angular position of a an object can be reliably controlled through 360°. Does anyone know how?

Outcomes