7 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 2:53 PM by Anna Wood

Newby question @ sketches on different planes

Timothy Lane
      I am new to SW and this may be a simple question. I started a new drawing as a part and I have several planes in this part with sketches on each plane. I am creating a gridline system with worklines. I am trying to extend/trim horizontal construction lines to a plane that is at a slope so the lines on my horizontal plane and my sloped planes meet at the same point. Any guidance on how to accomplish this would be great.
        • Newby question @ sketches on different planes
          Anna Wood
          Constrain the end points of your line coincident to your planes. Just a guess.

Can you zip the file up and post the zip file here. Hard to know what you are trying to accomplish without seeing the file.

Why are you creating a gridline system in the first place?

Cheers,
            Timothy Lane
            The reason for this file is to perform a check in an assembly to verify all of the parts, which will be inserted on these work lines, fully mate. There might be a better way to do this but with this large structure it seamed the best approach. But since this is our first attempt at using SW, we could be way off base.
                Anna Wood
                Top down design will work no question.

I suspect, from what I see for your grid structure, there is a better way. But very difficult to propose ideas not knowing what you are making.

Why do you need the same sketches over and over. Can you not create one sketch for each of the major sections/elevations. Then constrain and pattern your parts to the same sketch location with an offset to its z location.

Looks like you can take advantage of patterns with what you are creating for the main structure.

What are you creating?

More detail will help us give you some ideas on how to go about your top level design. Some folks probably have already been there and done that to and can chime in.

Cheers.
                    Anna Wood
                    Tim,

Also you are modeling an assembly that will be made up of parts and other sub-assemblies. You will create a drawing after you have your assembly modeled.

Reason I say this is to get you out of the creating drawing mindset. That is what you did when you worked in your 2D CAD system.

In 3D you are working with models first. Drawings are created from models.

Your question would be better suited to be posted in the assembly sub-forum, not the drawing sub-forum. No worries we will answer it here, but others may miss your post if they do not frequent the drawings sub-forum. :-)

Cheers,
                        Timothy Lane
                        There are reasond dictated to us by our customer as to why there are so many sections. But that is not getting me an answer to my question about how to get the ends of my lines on the different planes to meet at the same point. Any ideas on that will be very helpfull.
                            Jay Andrews

Timothy Lane wrote:

There are reasond dictated to us by our customer as to why there are so many sections. But that is not getting me an answer to my question about how to get the ends of my lines on the different planes to meet at the same point. Any ideas on that will be very helpfull.

If I understand correctly, what you want to do is edit the sketch....In the sketch, hold the ctrl key for multiple select, and select the end point of the line and the plane you want it to stop at. Now with both selected, on the left of the screen the properties window should show among other things, a button that says I believe "on plane", or maybe "coincident". Click that, and the line endpoint should pop right over onto the plane.