AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help bending a surface and sweeping a bent flange along it

Question asked by Matthew Ayres on Feb 25, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2020 by Matthew Ayres

Hi all, first time posting.  I'm having a ton of trouble figuring out this one.  I have something already drawn up that I thought was correct but on closer inspection there are some issues with my design.  I'll attach that file (solidworks 2019) so you can see what I've done and get a better idea of what I'm looking to do. The feature tree is a bit of a mess as I've tried a bunch of different things.

I'm designing a forming tool and I've created a trimming surface that I'll use to cut my forms from. I need to bend the four corners of the part down a specified amount each.  Design intent is to be able to go back and edit a dimension to increase or decrease the amount of bend as this will be a trial and error type of job in the press.

My current surface looks correct except that where the flat center area meets the curved surfaces isn't tangent and it needs to be.  If you look closely at one of the smaller corners you'll see it abruptly starts the bend where the flat surface edge ends and I can't figure out how to create a surface that is tangent to the flat one on the inner edge.

Second problem is i need to produce a 45 deg flange all along the outer edge of the curved shape (length not important) and the 45 needs to bend with the curved surface that it is attached to.  So not just a simple 45 all the way around but an angle that dynamically changes with the curved geometry as it bends more or less while maintaining the correct relationship of 45 degs the whole way through.

I've been using swept surfaces with a guide curve but it produces a non flat angle and its kind of wavy looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Matt A

Attachments

Outcomes