AnsweredAssumed Answered

XP64? advice please

Question asked by Dale Dunn on May 6, 2009
Latest reply on May 11, 2009 by William Peacock
Hello all,

The time has finally come for a new workstation. I know where I'm going with the hardware, but I have a dilemma on the OS. What I would like to do is build on Vista 64 with 6 GB of memory. Here's the problem: We are stuck on SW07 for the foreseeable future because of our largest customer. There's nothing that can be done about that. SW 07 is not supported on Vista, so if I want 64-bit, it will have to be XP.

Now then, do the benefits of XP64 outweigh the headaches? I've already verified that I can get drivers for the peripherals, so I anticipate minimal problems there. The benefit I hope to get is not having to worry about running out of memory in SW. I currently run XP32 without /3GB. (I ran into stability problems with it. Perhaps the new machine will be stable with /3GB.) I do find that I have to actively manage how much memory I am using, especially while working on assembly drawings.

If I install XP64 with 6GB, it will probably be for the life of the machine. The other option is XP32 with 3GB (and maybe /3GB), and hope to convince the boss I need Win 7 with 6GB when we finally get off of SW07. I'm leaning toward the XP32 option, because XP64 is a dead-end.

What do you think? I expect this machine to be around for 3-5 years.

Outcomes