AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to "capture" the path of a moving part onto another part in assembly?

Question asked by David Giles on Feb 19, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2020 by David Giles

Howdy folks.  I'm new here and a fairly novice SW user.  I accidentally posted this as a "discussion" last night, so I deleted the discussion and am re-posting it as a question.

Anyway, I'm trying to design a simple jig/template/pattern that will allow me to push a block around on a base-board, following the same precise path every time (sort of like a template you might use with a router to accurately cut out the same shape repeatedly).  The basic parts of the jig will be a 12”x24” base-board made of 3/4" thick UHMW sheet, and a 1” thick block of UHMW that will sit on top of the base-board.  My plan is to mount three bearings on the bottom of the UHMW block, and machine three path-slots into the base-board (the width of the slots will be just a few thousandths greater than the diameter of the bearings).  The bearings on the bottom of the UHMW block will sit down in the slots in the baseboard, so that when I push the block, the bearings (following the slots) will force the block to follow the exact same path every time while the angle of the block will be precisely controlled as it moves around the path.

I have the path defined in SW, with the block mated to the path, and the block moves exactly how I want it to.  And of course each bearing-mount-hole on the block traces its own unique path as the block moves around.  But I'm not sure how to "capture" or "transfer" those path onto the surface of the base-board part so that slots can be machined into the UHMW base-board to precisely match the paths that the bearings should follow.  The attached images show the basic setup and the movement of the block as it slides around the path.  Could someone give me a hint on how to transfer the exact movement of those three bearing-mount-holes (in the sliding block) onto the large base-board that the block sits on?

Outcomes