2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 5:05 PM by Dale Dunn

SolidWorks Backwards Compatibility

Sal Lama
      Many of you have asked at one point or another for SolidWorks to provide backward compatibility for its files. In fact the request came in third in this year's SolidWorks World top ten enhancement list.

What I'd like to do is learn more about what backwards compatibility means to each of you and how you'd need it to behave if the functionality were introduced. If you are interested in sharing your views on the matter, I'd encourage you to fill out this survey. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s....JJyACCGg3UjlbaQ_3d_3d

Your feedback will help us determine when, if, and what we might provide you in the future.

Thank you for your time.
      I look forward to reading your input!

By the way, if you don't want or need backwards compatibility, I'd love to hear from you as well.
        • SolidWorks Backwards Compatibility
          Eddie Cyganik

Hello Sal,

I know this is a tough enhancement to provide for, so good luck!

I have filled out the survey and provided as much information as I could in the space provided.
          • SolidWorks Backwards Compatibility
            Dale Dunn
            Adapted from my "other comments" entry:

The wording of question 2 on this page implies that the development team is considering implementing the ability to read future versions, rather than the ability to save as old versions. In that case, if SolidWorks encounters a feature or annotation from the future version that it cannot handle, it will need to convert that feature or annotation to non-parametric features or annotation. It seems this will break assembly references, in-context relations, drawing views, and related annotations. That will not be acceptable. I need to deliver fully functional SolidWorks drawings.