5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 7:46 PM by Tim Dougherty

Can I attach custom annotation to hole wizard features in Design Library?

Tim Dougherty

What I'm running into: We do generic callouts for slip and press fits because of the wide range of materials. If I forget to manually add this callout, I get a bad part.

Question is, can I modify my calloutformat.txt to link specifically to these design library features so we all are pulling the same annotation with these specific features?

For example, I now have a design feature for 8mm slip fit, now I want to have hole callout recognize it as such and add (slip fit for agathon)...or (slip fit for dowel)

Maybe there's another way to skin this cat ...
        • Can I attach custom annotation to hole wizard features in Design Library?
          Tony Hayes
          I would configure the toolbox to have a selection for each type of hole ie: slip fit for agathon and slip fit for dowel. When you insert a hole wizard hole you will choose which one of those that you need.

Then modify the calloutformat.txt file to have a callout for each hole type.

If you do not know how to do this then do a search on here, there is several threads on how to do it. I also think there is a presention on the Solidworks website from SolidWorks 2009 that you can downlaod that shows how to do it.
              Jim Moder
              Here's what we do...
              I created a hole type called "Metric Dowel holes" under drill holes.
              And in calloutformat.txt, copy a section of plain holes to read like this...
              [METRIC DOWEL HOLES]

**NO-NUMBER-OF-INSTANCES

** PLAIN HOLES **
              HOLE-BLIND=SF FOR M6 DOWEL;< hw-depth > DEEP;< NUM_INST >x

HOLE-THRU=PF THRU FOR M6 DOWEL;< NUM_INST >x

The only issue with this is, is that if it's not an M6 dowel hole, you have to manually edit the 6 to 8 or whatever. But at least it sets it up for you.

If anyone has a better way to do this, I'm open for better way, especially if it can do...
              SF FOR M < hole-size >, but I could not get that to work.

Also for parts that get dowels or bushings pressed into them, here's what we do.
              Say 001.sldprt plate gets 2 dowels pressed into it. That 001.sldprt is made an assembly 001.sldasm that includes those two dowels. The 001 part is excluded from BOM.
              Then in the 000 main assembly drawing, BOM lists ITEM 1...001...Baseplate
              with cascaded under it is 2 dowels with no item no. This tells the shop guys that 001 plate gets 2 dowels, rather than the BOM listing 50 Dowels that are somewhere in the main assembly but impossible to point to. :-)
              Tim Dougherty
              Hey, Tony that looks like what I'm trying to do. I've set-up USER1_AI_HW_HOLES_PF & USER1_AI_HW_HOLES_SF in my MDB and it's working.

How do I get my calloutformat.txt to reflect that or vice versa. I'm only looking for 4 simple callouts blind and thru for SF and PF.

I'm getting soooo close Thanks for the help