25 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 8:04 PM by Jay Andrews

Why are there so many bugs in 2009?

James Miller
      Why do they keep unneccessarily changing functionality for change sake? They need to put all new gimmicks on hold and just fix the damn bugs that are there. I also am tired of the VAR never answering their phones. Why should they? I only pay them tens of thousands of dollars for support every year. I used to use SolidEdge and at least they had a centrailzed call center. This VAR is crap. Would you rather get an answer form a stranger or be ignored by someone you know?
        • Why are there so many bugs in 2009?
          Devon Sowell
          Switch your VAR, I did.
            What about list some of your bugs here???
              Eddie Cyganik
              Miller,

All versions of Solidworks have many bugs.

Unlike your family, your VAR can be replaced.

As far as your comment about fixing versus adding gimmicks and such, well that'll never happen. Its Sales & Marketing against what makes sense. This issues has been talked about forever and I agree that this should be done. I'd even go as far to say that if SolidWorks were to concentrate on fixes, improvements and stability ...And even advertise it, I think their sales would skyrocket. Peolple would look at this and say;
              "Wow, I've never heard of a software company doing this!"
              "They must really care about their customers!"
              "I'm going to start my subscrition service again!"
              "This new version of SolidWorks is the best I've ever used!"
              ...Now what softare company would want people saying things like that?
                  Devon Sowell
                  Hello Eddie-

Good points about Sales & Marketing.

However, Subscription Maintenance prevents them from doing this: ("I'd even go as far to say that if SolidWorks were to concentrate on fixes, improvements and stability ...And even advertise it, I think their sales would skyrocket. .")

If the software had no bugs, why would I need service packs and subscription maintenance?

Also my need for technical support would diminish greatly.
                    Don Vanzile

Now back to the realistic standpoint...

Even if SW did stand still and perfect the long list of major (but I'm sure mostly minor) bugs, other things don't stand still... OS updates, drivers, etc don't stand still.... What I mean, is the Industry doens't stand still because one vendor says they want to perfect the existing stuff. This is simply unrealistic in my opinion.

Also, even if Solidworks code were completely perfect, there would still be hardware and driver inconsistancies on each machine that could lead to bugs and crashes. And in the end still blame SW and annouce how crappy they are.

They are still perceived as crap.... catch 22 if you ask me.
                    Maybe the software shouldn't install unless all hardware and supported drivers check out for that specific version??? Not sure I like this solution either... be slightly handicapped or just dead in the water? Oh well.

Don
                        Matt Lombard
                        It would be nice if they had some sort of diagnostic to make sure your OS / driver environment is suitable.

But then why would anyone need resellers to tell them to upgrade their video driver?

Don Vanzile
                            I realize my point of view isn't shared by many but I'm a realist!

In addition, what I think most users would like to see or be part of, is how bugs are prioritized at Solidworks. I think if known SPR's could somehow be voted on or priortized by the users would be a huge benefit to the community. Now I understand they may be huge technology issues\reasonings for some, but maybe SW should be more open with what is going on with the prioritzed SPR's as well.

Examples:

SPR XXXXXX - Solidworks crashes when this happens.
                            Solidworks Tech: Currently investigating, waiting for Microsoft to fix memory leak....

SPR XXXXXX - Solidworks crashes when this happens.
                            Solidworks Tech: Currently being processed by developement, fix comming in SP4.

Anyways, not sure how realistic this is either but at least users are aware of what's going on and not just assuming it's a BIG BLACK HOLE.
                        Joe Dunfee
                        I think that for most software companies, they only need to have a program work well for some percentage of the customers. So, if the program were to work well for 80%, it is worth the expense for them to fix the program so the remaining 20% will be happy? And, if those 20% have already invested years of learning this complex program, is he really willing to jump ship, and start learning another program's bugs?

Our company is at the stage of "stick with the devil you know", and probably hold of on any new versions untill we really see a major benefit that will be worth the hassle of discovering all the new bugs. (actually re-discovering, since they will probably already be known to SW) Our company did use Inventor more reliably in the past, but switched to SW because some customers used it. I sense they would like to switch back to Inventor, but have committed several new employees to using SW over the past year. Switching back would be a major expense and productivity killer.

I think the bottom line, is that most (or rather enough) customers don't require more reliable software, and is willing for fork over the money for subscription. Why would SW waist money to develop more reliable software?

Joe Dunfee
                          Jeff Mowry
                          Speaking of this in the context of drawings in v2009, I just had one pop up. (No answer from VAR yet, either, but I'm sure they'll reply soon.) But maybe I'm overlooking something that's changed in recent releases instead of finding a true bug. Anyone care to take a look, while we're on the topic?

I've created a Bill of Materials in a drawing in v2009, but many of the cells show not my part name/number, but "PreviewCfg" instead (in the Part Number column). As best I can tell this is usually with Toolbox-based parts. Whatever I do, I cannot seem to get the true name of the part to appear in this column. I went into the properties tab on the Toolbox parts' configuration tab and currently have "Document Name" selected for use--but it doesn't use the document name! Does this method work for anyone else when using Toolbox-generated parts?

I've had this happen in v2007, but when I change the options in the configuration's properties, it solved the issue (like it should). Again, even in v2007 I saw this only for Toollbox-generated parts.

Maybe I'm missing some other option that needs to be selected in tandem? I'll keep digging around. Thanks to any who figure this out.

Chris Challinor
                            And I was thinking it was the programmers that need a "VERY Long Holiday", the marketing guys are doing a great job given what they are able to sell us.................
                              Kevin Quigley
                              OK contentious statement warning coming up......

I want new features. There are many many things in SW 2009 that I need that are not there. There are many things that could be made better that don't come under the classification of bug fix. If SW were to say, OK folks we are moving to an 18 month release cycle and the emphasis is on bug fixes and fewer new features I'd have to say why am I buying maintenance every year? Would the maintenance then go to 18 months as well?

For me, SW2009 is very stable and relatively bug free (by which I mean showstopper - I cannot complete the task). I never phone my VAR for tech support (which is why I'm such a VAC - value added customer). What I need is for the software to continue to move forward with new features that make my job easier. Come on admit it. All you lucky people who get to go to SolidWorks World. What's the best bit? Finding out what is coming in the next version.....
                                Kevin Quigley
                                I have one seat, which was purchased at great expense (given that UK pricing is a lot higher than USA) and I am the main user, so I deal with any issues that arise and I explain to customers when deadlines are missed. So in that respect my issues are more critical than a 50 seat installation where there are fall backs in place and dedicated IT support staff (or should be) - if I hit a serious time consuming issue I miss deadlines and I don't get paid. My point is that that for me, SW2009 does the job I need it to do, relatively trouble free. I want the software to move forward and progress so I can get more intuitive modelling, faster results and higher quality. For me that means new or greatly enhanced features, and not just bug fixes.

Let me put it another way.

If you are buying a car do you take it to the showroom and come out with the same car, but with a refurbished engine, a new paint job and a new set of tyres, or do you spend large amounts of money getting a newer version that has better economy, a few more electronic gizmos and a better safety score in the NCAP? Then two months later you get a letter from the dealer asking you to bring it in for a recall because of some potential flaw that has happened to some customers when it was used in a certain manner.

a final thought. I use another piece of CAD software that was once a leading application but has now been surpassed by others. Practically every industrial design business on the planet had this or has a copy or two around - Ashlar-Vellum. Ashlar's 3D products are what I would call a niche product range and development is slow. What they offer users though is the ability to work on what are essentially beta builds to access new features, and they release a SP about once every 6-8 months. major releases are on about a 2-3 year cycle. So as beta users we can access the features early and use them maybe 6 months before they are added into a release build. Most Ashlar users do this because the benefit of having access to the new features (and continuing bug fixes) outweighs the wait.

Would this work for SolidWorks? Maybe. I for one would be happy to move to this delivery method to access new features early if it gave me a competitive edge in the market. I don't have an issue with upgrading regularly as it keeps me ahead of all the pirates. Several times recently I have given files to customers who intended to use cheaper labour on pirated software, only to find that they come back to me because the cheaper labour cannot open the files. Shame. There are other issues at play aside from bug fixes vs features.

David Demaria
                                  2009 is gradually getting better I think. SP.0 had bugs so significant, they were classified as RODENTS !

hahaaaaa... oh ok please yourselves !
                                    Jeff Mowry
                                    Steve, I've got a couple that really bother me.

The first is that configurations were separated from display states (I believe in v2008). Whatever the reason, I cannot get eDrawings to show my assembly configurations correctly any more. After checking with my VAR about how to get around these bugs (random parts hidden or shown in each configuration), they confirmed this issue has persisted for v2008 and v2009 and don't know when this will be addressed. Lame. I REALLY like eDrawings for sharing lots of complex design data with clients quickly and with small, able-to-email files. Oh, well.

The second is that some of the surface operations (Trim, particularly) are much less stable than in v2007. I've held off on bringing most of my projects into v2009 for this reason. I don't know why, but when I do full rebuilds of more surface-complex parts, many of my Trim features will inexplicably fail to remember which part of a surface is being trimmed off and which part is being kept. Some such parts may have several hundred features, only to get to the bottom features, which split and save bodies as their own part files (each of which may have an additional several hundred features). So to crash an upstream feature like this is a REAL waste of my time to repair.

I just thought of another. I see a lag in the time v2009 takes to accept dimensional input while in the sketcher. Why? I keep a hand over the number pad and work quickly (don't need to look at the keyboard while sketching), so when a decimal point is lost in the lag, it can really blow my sketch away quickly. Undo, lag, re-enter dimension. It's not the milliseconds-long lag quite so much as the consequences of the lag.

It's tough to forgive newer versions of software breaking (or degrading) things that worked just fine several releases ago. It's even tougher to pay for that.

Joe Rochinski
                                      Forget E-drawings, I have random parts, lines, etc which will randomly appear and disappear in native solidworks drawings themselves. Crosshatching refuses to update until I rebuild and applies itself to an entire section cutaway even though I specifically guide the software to apply it to a component. I therefore have to live with whatever "Autohatching" comes up with, which is generally terrible. Solidworks routinely "forgets" to apply things like show hidden edges on rebuild. Once it decides to stop showing something, I can tell the software to show or hide the hidden edges of that component all day long, but it will refuse to draw them. Breaking alignment and modifying the scale of a section view sometimes randomly and inexplicably causes the parent view to rescale as well.

I've been doing modeling and only drawings of simple parts in 2009 up until today, and all that has been satisfactory. Drawings of assemblies, though, is broken to the point where I may need to export all my original parts drawings into AutoCAD and do my production assembly layouts there, just so I can get my work done.

I DON'T NEED A MAGNIFYING GLASS. I JUST NEED IT TO WORK.
                                          Devon Sowell
                                          Hi Joe-

Yes, it would interesting to take a poll and find out how many people actually use the Magnifying Glass and Instant 3D.
                                              Joe Rochinski

Devon Sowell wrote:

Hi Joe-

Yes, it would interesting to take a poll and find out how many people actually use the Magnifying Glass and Instant 3D.

My favorite part about the magnifying glass is that in order to make it work, they forced to make everyone's fancy several hundred (sometimes thousand) dollar certified commercial-grade video cards work only when dynamically moving the model. The final frame is rendered in software, which makes hardware-based line smoothing useless, makes zooming with the mouse wheel slow, and raises my blood pressure by a good 15-20 mmHg daily.
                                                  Tim R
                                                  Hi,
                                                  I agree witih Miller and Don.. in my opinion.. it seems that SW begins to get some of the things that I consider bugs worked out only to release the next years version of the software so the Bug Stompin' has to pretty much start all over again..

I.E. Getting most bugs stamped out - multiple SPs out.. oops here is SW 2010.. Getting most bugs stamped out - multiple SPs out.. oops here is SW 2011..

How about software vendors not being so tied to the yearly version upgrade?.. How about an 18 month cycle or so instead of a 12 month cycle? Wouldn't that help a bit? Or is that another money losing never going to happen option?

-Tim