AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can you Link to outside drawing sheets from within a drawing?

Question asked by Josh Hixon on Jan 17, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2020 by Justin Pires

I have a crazy out of the box idea and am looking for the experts of the forum to let me know if they have done it, seen it, or think it is possible. 

So I am told that in old school workgroup PDM you could "Link" to drawings from within a drawing, essentially Have a large assembly that contains read-only sheets that are more or less a linked read-only copy of the components drawing sheet/sheets.  

Why would this be useful?  We have large products with many sub-assemblies and components that each have their own production drawing. I would love to be able to open the top-level assembly drawing and have all the drawings in that file without maintaining two copies of the drawings. This is useful for moving to Digital build books for our shop, as well as for printing Hard copies of build books. So sheet one would be a top-level BOM and a top-level assembly drawing, sheet 2 would be a read-only "window" if you will into the drawing of sub-assembly A. If sub-assembly A's drawing gets edited the read-only window in top-level gets updated with changes.

Does this make sense? I want a bit more stream Lined way to access and print build books rather than opening 200 files and trying to keep everything straight. 

Is this possible to do with PDM professional (we have that), or would it be possible to write an add-in or is there one in existence that has this type of functionality?  Any thoughts on this? 

Outcomes