AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to deal with springback within sheet metal gauges? And how to deal with a change of tooling?

Question asked by Lauritz Berg on Dec 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2020 by Kevin Chandler

Solidworks 2019 offers the amazing feature to add a sheet metal gauge/bending table to a material. We implemented our different brake presses into this table already (thanks to these blogposts: Spotlight on Features: Sheet Metal Bend and Gauge table working rules (Part II)) although some questions remain unanswered:

Change of tooling

If we change tooling (we do get a new punch radius, because our old is broken and we choose a different one due to some material changes) and thus we have to change the bend radius of many, many parts.

• How can I refresh the gauge table in a part?
  • Do I need to run a macro for all our parts to actually implement the replaced radius with our new tooling?
  • Do I need to change all bends to have the new radius?
  • What is the best way to achieve this? Make a #2 of this table and re-link all the parts to it anew?

Springback

Some steels do have a very big springback value (i.e. Hardox 450), thus the punch radius is not equal to the radius on the part after it is bent. In addition the punch does not stick to the workpiece fully and there is an additional difference. There is an approximation though that is sufficient for most bend radii, but the approximation does get a bit too big for bend radii below 35degrees.

• How can I implement this properly?
  • Do I need to keep in mind that below 35degree I need to chose a different radius? Do I need a table printed out and when I change the angle I need to chose a different radius?
  • The needed 'overbending' can also lead to a part that can not be manufactured properly with the tooling, can I implement some kind of maximum bend angle into Solidworks?
  • Can Solidworks help me pay attention to this when designing parts?

Outcomes