2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 3:40 PM by Bill McEachern

Cosmos motion to SW Simulation

Hey Folks,

Long time SW user and what used to be called Cosmos Motion. I've just loaded SW 2009 Premium and I'm having a little trouble.

I have used Cosmos Motion successfully in the past (Cosmos Motion 2007) to predict the movement of spinning parts; think centrifuge with buckets that hang down, when the motor spins the rotor, the buckets would pivot up under certrifugal force until they were at ~ 90 degrees from their static positon.

I have built a simple assembly but for the life of me I can't seem to get started.

In Cosmos Motion what I used to do is define the "moving" parts; "Ground" parts, add some joints, a bit of friction and then apply a "motion"

I can't imagine that the setup of Simulation motion analysis has changed THAT much in the past 2 years, but maybe I'm wrong.

Can someone point me in the general direction of how to get started on a simple motion analysis.

I'm not looking for a stress analysis, what I need for a result is the projection angles of the "buckets"

Thanks in advance for your help

P. McGovern
        • Cosmos motion to SW Simulation
          Anthony Botting
          Hi Paul: You are right is has changed significantly. It is integrated with Animator timeline and you have to turn-on the "Simulation Motion" add-in, AND make sure the drop down in the Animation timeline is set to "Motion Analysis" (which won't show w/o the Simulation Motion added-in). The product uses the SW mates to create it's own joints. There is a new tree in there and you can manipulate the mates in there, thereby modifying the joints. Across the top of the time line is an options panel icon, graph generator icon, springs, dampers etc., of which you would recognize. It's a bit harrowing, but it works. Good luck. I believe Ian Hogg is monitoring this forum so you will get good feedback from him. Tony
            • Cosmos motion to SW Simulation
              Bill McEachern
              Here are couple things to help you:
              -all joint are done as mates - new mates have been added to match all the previous joints in motion (though th enames may have changed a bit).
              -you have two types of mates - global and local. Global mate is added to the swx tree. A local mate is added tothe motion tree in the animator interface exposed at the bottom - these willnot show up inthe swx mate tree. Kinda handy really.
              -a fixed part in a grounded part. a non-fixed part is a moving part.
              -joint friction etc is added tothe mate definition - an extra tab is added to the mate definition UI - hunt a around and take a look to get familiar withthe mate dialog.
              - a lock mate is available to rigidly connect two or more parts. Not quite as slick as the old drag and drop but it is there.
              -to add motion elements (motors, actuators, gravity, contact) look to the bar above the motion time line. Same for results.
              -play with the tree filters - handy as the motion tree can get crowded.
              -durations are set by dragging the time line bars more or less. You cna turn somethings off in mid simulation which is handy. Doesn't work for every thing though.
              -use motors to tie up uncontrained DOF - displacement = 0 is ahandy technique.

Good luck. Run some examples if you can not too sure where they are but try the tutorials.