11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2009 6:51 PM by Jay Andrews

Help Patterning Fillets

Paul McCrorey
      See Attached for example file. I have many models where I am trying to add small radii on a large number of edges. The features that I want to add fillets to are made with a pattern...i.e. one cut patterned hundreds of times. It seems to me that I should be able to go to that original feature, add fillets and then add the fillet to my pattern feature. DOESN'T WORK!!!

Currently, the brute force method of adding hundreds of fillets MANUALLY - ain't pretty.

Any suggestions?
        • Help Patterning Fillets
          Brian Place
          move the fillet before the pattern and add it to the pattern
              Mark Kaiser
              I was able to use Brian's suggestion and solve your problem.

Another method is to select a feature in the FMT, then choose the fillet command. This will apply the fillet to all the edges of the selected feature.
                    Jay Andrews
                    I wonder what version the OP has. I'm on '08, and I don't even bother to try to pattern fillets anymore. It doesn't matter if I move the fillet to before the pattern. The only way it will work for me is if both faces for the fillet are patterned. So, say I have a face with a boss and a fillet between the boss and the face. Then I do a circular pattern of the boss on the face, I have to manually add the fillet after the pattern. I haven't found a way either to achieve this. Tried looking at the file posted here, but it's a future version
                        Brian Place
                        Jay, you mean like this??
                        its an 08 file
                            Jay Andrews

brian place wrote:

Jay, you mean like this??

its an 08 file

Yeah, oops after, thinking about it, the case was a bit different than I described, and I verified I was wrong on part I'm working on. If I can remember the difference I'll post again.
                                Jay Andrews
                                Yeah, I didn't say that quite right.

Now given the example I've attached, I'd attach another if it didn't take so long to attach. But to take my example further mentally...

If my base part was round instead of square this would work because it's the same surface I'm filleting to. But if I added a split line, I think it wouldn't work on the other side of the split line. Ok, while I'm typing this, I tried it and it worked with the split line. Oh well, something to think about.

Brian Place
                                    Jay,
                                    If you turn on the geometry pattern under options then it works
                                        Jay Andrews
                                        hmm, so it does, interesting. Now, I know there are other cases with similar where I've tried geometry unchecked and it still didn't work. I'll have to think about it to remember exactly when...

In fact an older version of the part I'm working on now I wrestled with for a while once, and just resigned to do them manually. I'll try not to take some time to figure it out but probably wont be able to resist the urge
                                            Paul McCrorey
                                            Brian/Jay/Mark...

Thanks for the responses...I am in the midst of some time-critical rendering so the machine is tied up and I can't quite try out everything...But while I am waiting couple of comments. The model I quickly made up and posted to the forum - your method works awesome on it. However, the 'real' models that I am working on I can't seem to get that to work. I am trying to figure a way to post one of them to the forum, but they are pretty large.

Also, you point about turning on the geometry pattern under options. I am looking forward to trying that out.

Marks suggestion about selecting the feature from the FMT and then selecting radius seems interesting. I am glad to have that tip - thanks Mark. But once again, with these models that I am working with I didn't have any luck.

When I get the chance, I will post one.

Thanks for the interest/help.

Paul
                                                Jay Andrews
                                                Yeah, it's funny, a part I'm working on now, more complex than all these simplifications we are testing in this thread, and my real part wont patter the fillet with or without geom. checked. I'll figure it out some day Until then I'll just place them manually after the pattern.