6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 3:28 PM by qinghai jin

Sharing SQL

I know there are those of you that have good IT backgrounds and experience with Enterprise and maybe even DriveWorks.

I used to be a VAR and have implemented Enterprise, used it, and taught it. However when doing the installation I have never ran across an instance of SQL express already on the server. (The backup software that was just purchased uses SQL Express and is already installed.) I know in the past when I implemented the software, we have always used SQL dedicated to EPDM or full blown version of SQL. When it comes to SQL I have limited knowledge and am admitting I need assistance.

On 1 server, they are intending to install, SolidWorks, DriveWorks, SQL Standard (version that comes with Enterprise), and Enterprise against my insistence to put them on separate servers.

DriveWorks will also need SQL databases for the many configurations we will be creating.

How do I make this all work together in harmony????

Thank you,
      Nicole
        • Sharing SQL
          Joy Garon
          Hi Nicole -

I often come across systems that have SQL Express already installed. Usually it is on a machine where someone may have installed Visual Studio or some other MS application.
          EPDM comes with SQL Server Standard Edition. Usually if SQL Express is already installed you will need to upgrade the installation (or uninstall the Express version).

Another important note: the EPDM SQL license only allows you to use it for the application it was supplied with - in this case EPDM.

Regards,
          Joy
            • Sharing SQL
              If we had a full blown version of SQL we could use if for all the applications, correct?
                • Sharing SQL
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Nicole -

If you purchased your own SQL Server (Standard or Enterprise edition) you could you it as you wish.
                  However, be aware that it is a 'best practice recommendation' to run the EPDM server on it's own installation and server. This insures proper performance and upgradability.

Joy
                    • Sharing SQL
                      I made this same (strong) suggestion but was it was disregarded.

Thank you so very much for your quick responses!
                        • Sharing SQL
                          Todd Puckett
                          Nicole,
                          I'm not a SQL expert however I do most of our EPDMW administration so I have some experience. We ran EPDMW on SQL server 2005 enterprise with other SQL instances without much trouble. You need to name each instance and SQL will keep them separate.
                          2 things to consider when using this approach.
                          - More instances require more memory (EPDMW may use more than 5Gb RAM)
                          - Each SQL instance uses a different port, starting with 1433. The EPDMW client will by default look to port 1433. This may need to be corrected in the client's registry if the EPDMW instance is not the first one created.

I agree with Joy,running the EPDMW database server on its own SQL server is best, however the instructions for Database Server setup accommodate multiple SQL instances.

- Todd
                  • Sharing SQL
                    qinghai jin
                    I don't know much about sharing SQL.

As our current project, I just know several computers can run together using the same database in the only same computer installed SQL 2005 express, connection is built by our own software applet programmed by vb.net

software: vb.net express, sql 2005 express, driveworks,solidworks2009.

Nicole Walden wrote:

I know there are those of you that have good IT backgrounds and experience with Enterprise and maybe even DriveWorks.

I used to be a VAR and have implemented Enterprise, used it, and taught it. However when doing the installation I have never ran across an instance of SQL express already on the server. (The backup software that was just purchased uses SQL Express and is already installed.) I know in the past when I implemented the software, we have always used SQL dedicated to EPDM or full blown version of SQL. When it comes to SQL I have limited knowledge and am admitting I need assistance.

[IMG][/IMG]

On 1 server, they are intending to install, SolidWorks, DriveWorks, SQL Standard (version that comes with Enterprise), and Enterprise against my insistence to put them on separate servers.

DriveWorks will also need SQL databases for the many configurations we will be creating.

How do I make this all work together in harmony????

Thank you,

Nicole