11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 1:37 PM by Matthew Lorono

PDF

Rodney Michels
      Has anyone expereinced PDF's coming out incorrrect using the new function in 2008 and 2009, generating PDF on check-in
        • PDF
          Anna Wood
          Describe incorrect.

What new function?

Checking into what?

A bit more detail would help you get an answer to your query.

Cheers,
            • PDF
              John Ferullo
              I have had PDFs, particularly on large assembly drawings, generate without all the annotations. Not consistantly though.

-John

Dell Optiplex 745
              Windows XP Pro
              4 Gig
              non-approved ATI video card
                • PDF
                  Anna Wood
                  John,

When you open a drawing SW will start to regen all the views. You can see what views are in the regen process by looking at the Feature Manager for all those little hourglass symbols on the views. When those are all gone, for all views, on all sheets, then you drawing has been fully resolved.

Try creating your pdf after the regen process is complete. I think this will solve your problem.

Your non-approved graphics card could also be part of your issue.

Cheers,

• PDF
                      John Ferullo
                      Hi Anna:
                      Thanks for that. In this case all of the views are regenerated, I had been working on the drawing for a while and touched every view and sheet. I think it is something to do with the graphics card. All the model view stuff is there and half of the notes and balloons would be missing on the PDF. If I generate a second PDF it is correct. I should mention the first PDF gets genearted by a macro I have been using for years. Smaller drawings are fine.
                        • PDF
                          Colin Parkhurst
                          I've actually had the same problem myself, but it does not seem to be related to either of Anna's suggestions. Even with all of my views fully resolved and with an approved graphics card, I sometimes find myself needing to resave PDFs upwards of 4-5 times.
                          I have a strong feeling that this is directly related to the size and amount of text in the drawing, as I have been dealing with this problem for ages. Like John, this does not seem to really effect the smaller 1-2 page drawings.
                          I must add that Anna's advice should still be heeded as I believe it certainly seems to help, even if it doesn't (in my case) solve the problem completely.
                            • PDF
                              Simon Bearman
                              I have this problem also, my VAR told me it was specific to my machines and that no one else had this problem. It affects large and small drgs and is random. I have captured the problem using the rx facility and sent this to my VAR. VAR says that this will be fixed in SW2010 due out in oct. We are using aproved video cards and software.
                                • PDF
                                  Matthew Lorono

simon bearman wrote:

I have this problem also, my VAR told me it was specific to my machines and that no one else had this problem. It affects large and small drgs and is random. I have captured the problem using the rx facility and sent this to my VAR. VAR says that this will be fixed in SW2010 due out in oct. We are using aproved video cards and software.

Save As...PDF has some issues. These are known and they are not specific to certain machines. I don't think SW Corp can do anything about the issues, because they've been told over and over, but yet the problems never go way.
                                    • PDF
                                      Ed Burris
                                      Solidworks' pdf generator simply does not work, and this they have in common with AutoDesk. I have given up expecting anything to do with the drawing interface to ever be addressed by SolidWorks. Apparently they just don't care if it works or not. We had our VAR come to our facility and configure our workstations, because of the dozens of problems you can read about in this forum. Unfortunately, it did not help at all. "It's the video driver... it's the printer driver...it's your network interface... you're not using configurations..." etc, etc, etc. It's ALWAYS YOUR FAULT. The sad truth is, SolidWorks drawing interface is junque. That's the bottom line.
                                        • PDF
                                          Simon Bearman
                                          We only started to use pdf's because when viewing drgs in the vault using edrgs they did not display or print correctly and pdf's did. Then we discovered that they missed out information. If it's a graphic's card/driver problem why don't SW make/create their own which does work all the time ? I am still surprised that a major company can sell a product with so many faults and get no negative press coverage, maybe we should get an online petition started.
                                            • PDF
                                              Matthew Lorono

simon bearman wrote:

We only started to use pdf's because when viewing drgs in the vault using edrgs they did not display or print correctly and pdf's did. Then we discovered that they missed out information. If it's a graphic's card/driver problem why don't SW make/create their own which does work all the time ? I am still surprised that a major company can sell a product with so many faults and get no negative press coverage, maybe we should get an online petition started.

Have at it.
                            • PDF
                              Ed Burris
                              Dispense with all the work-arounds and try'n'fix-its and get a 3rd party .pdf printer like Win2Pdf or PrimoPDF. SolidWorks' .pdf genertor just doesn't work, and neither does AutoDesk's. SolidWorks seems to be a decent modeler, but anything that has to do with printing or even paper, and it's on its knees. They need to take their entire drawing interface, scrap it and start over. There seems to be WAY more that doesn't work than that does...