9 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 12:55 AM by Eric Lagman

Colors in 09 all messed up

Eric Lagman
      The colors attachment and removal is terrible in 09. I constantly end up with colors popping up on faces when I have not assigned them to any faces only bodies. Then when I try to go and remove them the remove all colors has been taken away from the dialogue. I found it by accident by assigning a material to a face then going to edit the color, removing the color, only then was I given the option to remove all colors. I click remove all colors and some faces still remain with colors. Ahhhhh!

I hate to sound like a jerk, but how many years have to go by before SW figures out how to manage putting colors on a model without it being a huge hassle and buggy.
        • Colors in 09 all messed up
          John Summers
          What SP are you using? The color issue was fixed with SP3.0.
            Kelvin Lamport
            Eric ... Are you assigning colours at the assy level, or at the part level?

Either way, what method are you using?
              Eric Lagman
              Im using sp 3.0 and putting on colors at the part level to multi-bodies. I have colors on bodies right now that I can find no way of getting rid of. I just want the part cleared of all colors on bodies faces etc and have the default color applied at the top of the part tree. The colors seem to go haywire whenever I cut a model in half do some detailing work on one half then mirror that half back over on a part that is symmetrical.
              It would happen In 08, but I could always hit the remove all colors and just start recoloring the model towards the end. Now with 09 I can not find away around the issues like I could with 08.
                  Ron Bates
                  Hi Eric,

You said, "..then mirror that half back over on a part that is symmetrical". I assume this to mean that you are using the mirror command (or some patterning command of choice). In the mirror command, do you have the "propogate visual properites" checked? If so, even if you remove all appearances, then add a "seed" appearance to face/feature/body of the "seed" body, the patternered/mirrored parts will get it back on regen. Is this what is happening at all?

-Ron
                      Bill Brannon
                      Ron , off the subject a bit , I am having sever issues with a color override when I apply a route. What happens is the route color bleeds over the whole assy. If I update it goes away in the model, but I switch over to the dwg. and the original model colors are gone and the whole assy. returns to the route color. I have switched the route color to a different color and it seems to follow to the assy. override that I am experencing. i.e. red,blue green whatever the route color may be.
                      also I have applied different colol routes on 1 assy. and the model will use different colors again red, green, blue this is really a problem as I am trying to make presentation products for our company I have contacted my resale reps. and we have exchanged files they are trying to work on it. My support guy says he will probably be forwarding my file to you folks at solidworks.

Please help as this is a real problem.

I am on Solidworks Premium 2009 sp03
                      windows xp profesional sp02
                          Ron Bates
                          Hi Bill,
                          Is the routing stuff adding assembly level colors (as in a color to the top level of the assembly), or is it adding individual component level colors? The post is a bit confusing, and I'm not much a routing expert, so I'll have to work up an example. Stay tuned...
                          Eric Lagman

Ron Bates wrote:

Hi Eric,

You said, "..then mirror that half back over on a part that is symmetrical". I assume this to mean that you are using the mirror command (or some patterning command of choice). In the mirror command, do you have the "propogate visual properites" checked? If so, even if you remove all appearances, then add a "seed" appearance to face/feature/body of the "seed" body, the patternered/mirrored parts will get it back on regen. Is this what is happening at all?

-Ron

Hi Ron,

I am mirroring a solid body with propagate visual properties checked. As soon as I hit ok it will mirror the body, but then some face colors go haywire and look nothing like the original half that it was mirrored from. Sometimes if I have merge result checked things will be ok, but it is inevetible that as I continue to add features certain faces on the model will just start turning random colors that are somewhere else on the model. Its probably more prevelant for us ID guys because we often model in multi-body part files and apply the colors of that look like the product would actually have. Most engineers I know model each part in an assembly and only have one color per part. Try and make a fairly complex model in a multi-body part with different colors applied to bodies and faces. Do some cutting and mirroring like I mentioned and I guarantee that before you get done with the model your colors will be all out of whack with no way to fix them.

Until this gets resolved could you guys please just add a way to strip the model of all colors so that we can put all colors on towards the end of the feature tree. In 2009 it seems like the colors are being tied in with the history tree somehow and its just not working right. All I know is the color application is getting worse. It was quirky in past releases, but has now gotten to the point where I cant get around the bugs now that the remove all colors does not seem to work.

Matt Lombard
                        Eric,

I completely agree. This was almost solved in 2007, and now it has been improved, so I'm again waiting for fixes. I would think this stuff would be fixed by sp3, but if anything, it just got worse. If you actually use COLORS for anything, aside from straight part colors, you are likely to see colors you can't remove, and SW gets body/feature/face overrides wrong consistently.

It's a mess, and long overdue for a fix.