10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 11:35 AM by 1-3X3W9M

activex in tutorial

hi all

anybody seen this in tutorials whilst clicking the ling to sample parts etc.

cheers mart
        • activex in tutorial
          John Sweeney
          Hi Martin,
          The swHtmlControl is used for communicating to SolidWorks from the tutorials... This control should get registered when you install SolidWorks.
          Is SW 2009 up and running when you are using the tutorial? Also, does this machine have any older versions of SolidWorks installed and did you run them recently or were they running along with SW 2009?
          Thanks,
          John
            • activex in tutorial
              Hi Jon

i am using 2009 with sp3 on vista x64. it only has 2009 on as i did a clean install with sp1.
              i use the tutorials with the above. i have just tried it with my home copy also vista x64 and i get the same error. window title 'internet explorer script error'

i had put it down to x64 dot net problems. or x64 version of ie. i know that vista will make some macro windows stay behind the front window and lock the thing up untill you find it.

cheers mart

• activex in tutorial
                  John Sweeney
                  Hi Martin,
                  I can only reproduce your problem if I use a mismatched version of the control and documentation (ie: if I use the SW2009 tutorials with an installed version of SW2008). However, I suppose it could be caused by tight security settings in your browser, although I clamped down on my settings and couldn't repro it.

What version of Microsoft Internet Explorer do you have installed and are the security settings set to be very tight? Have you tried loosening the "local intranet" security settings if they are currently restricting ActiveX controls, etc.

One other simple test is this: The "SolidWorks Resources" tab of the taskpane uses the same ActiveX control... Turn on the taskpane, using View-Toolbars-Taskpane. Click the "SolidWorks Resources" tab and then choose the "New Document" or "Open a Document" option to see if it works.

Thanks,
                  John
                    • activex in tutorial
                      hi John

your test shown is right. it does not open the top four buttons, opens no. 5, 7, 8 and 9. from top.

what strange code.

i have the default settings in ie 8 at home and default ie7 at work. uac set to default. i'm not sure i want to change at work as duff users will fiddle if i loosen security.

perhaps it should be tested on default windows settings?

• activex in tutorial
                          John Sweeney
                          Hi Martin,
                          My initial testing was with default IE7 settings. Before we dig too deep into the settings of IE, lets simply try to manually register the control... Its possible that the control didn't get registered during install.

Open a command window from your desktop "Start-Run" and type cmd. Within the new CMD window, change the folder location to the location of your solidworks executable and register the control with "regsvr32" command. For example:

d:
                          cd \Program Files\SolidWorks\Solidworks 2009
                          regsvr32 swhtmlcontrol.dll

You should get a message box saying the registration succeeded.

Restart SolidWorks and see if the taskpane commands work.

Hopefully this will do the trick.
                          -John

• activex in tutorial
                              HI John

that did the trick. thanks. thats on my home machine with ie8.

will test tommorow with work machine.

check that sp4 has the right call for vista x64 with uac running?

i must say i am so pleased to have contact with a real sw person. please could sw put more techies on the forums? my var is very good but sometimes its nice to speak direct to the code writers. i know testing code takes a lifetime and we all have different setups and i do praise your efforts. i know i complain when things dont work but as a life long 'mr fixit' i just want things to work as they should.

thanks again
                                • activex in tutorial
                                  John Sweeney
                                  Hi Martin,
                                  Great! I'm glad the simple fix worked. Let me know if the Tutorials or Taskpane don't work on your other machine once you register the control.

I'm not sure why that dll would fail to register on your machines during install... I suppose the UAC could have prevented it from registering, but I would guess you'd see other issues too if other items had failed to install and register properly... If you do see any flakiness with other areas of the SolidWorks product, its possible things didn't go correctly during your first install. Check with your VAR if this happens and you may want to consider a reinstall with UAC off and anti-virus off, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked.

Best Regards,
                                  John
                                    • activex in tutorial
                                      hi John

my work machine which is tagged below updated ok this morning.

i was thinking about the uac and admin permissions. to get the dll file to register i have to use the admin version of cmd. if i use the standard version it fails.
                                      so during the sw install it will fail as well. therefore to not compromise the whole user machine during an install i suggest the following.
                                      during the installation manager setup an admin box would allow the password to be saved so the rest of the install would be done with admin permissions. this would allow the admin person to vissit the machine once and leave the rest to the user. this would allow uac to remain intack and the machine remain safe from users.
                                      i have installed other software which says from the beginnnig it will need admin permissions and either windows corrects automaticly or you start by right click the exe file and 'run as administrator'. i havent checked whether i could use that on the sldim exe.

i hope you take my suggestions in the spirit of working together to fix the product. nothing personal to any of you.
                                        • activex in tutorial
                                          John Sweeney
                                          Hi Martin,
                                          I spoke with our install guys and they told me the installation should not allow you to proceed if you don't have the correct permissions, so I'll assume this was not the cause of your issue.

I'm definately puzzled as to why that dll wasn't registered. That dll did not change in SP3, so it shouldn't have even been touched during your upgrade patch from SP1 to SP3. Did the tutorials work properly when you had 2009 SP1 installed? Any chance you had the SW documentation or a tutorial open when you performed the SP3 upgrade?

On the subject of our installer design, a group of us have been working on improvements for SW2010 and we believe the overall installation process should be more simple in SW2010. Unfortunately, we cannot provide an option for an elevated username and password inside our installer. Microsoft requires the privilege elevation to happen BEFORE a program (ie: sldim.exe) is executed. It cannot elevate privileges after our program is already running. However, you can accomplish this on Vista and XP using the "Run As" option on the right mouse button when clicking a .exe. Its not quite as nice as your suggestion, but it still works :-)

Thanks for your input,
                                          John
                          • Re: activex in tutorial

Hi there,

We're experiencing the same problem as the original post.  We are deploying Solidworks 2009 SP4 to Windows XP SP3 clients in locked down environment for students.

Running Solidworks as a normal user, I get the restricted set of options on the Solidworks Resources tab and clicking on New Document, Tutorials does nothing.

If I perform a Run As on sldworks.exe with an administrator account (still logged in as a normal user), all the options appear and the links for Tutorials etc work fine.

swhtmlcontrol.dll is registered fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt