AnsweredAssumed Answered

Want to use lasercut dxf file to create multiple parts

Question asked by Tony Linde on Oct 20, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2019 by Tony Linde

I've only just learned about Solidworks which was recommended as one of the packages that might be used for creating sources for a 3D printer on my Art Foundation course (I'm a mature student & retired IT developer/manager). I've downloaded it and that's about the level of my knowledge so far! But I was wondering if it could be used to model a sculpture I have in mind, before I start gluing the pieces together.

I modified and used a downloaded Illustrator file of gear wheels to create a dxf file as the source to cut out the wheels on a laser cutter:

gear wheels

I have these wheels now in 3mm glossy black acetate:

16 gear wheels in 3mm glossy black acetate

I was wondering if it would be possible to import the lasercut dxf file into Solidworks as a drawing then turn that drawing into a model of all the wheels in 3mm acetate as in the pic above in a way that I could then manipulate each wheel into position to create a series of sculpture models - trying the arrangements out before building the final sculpture? If so, can you point me to any tutorials that would build up the skills I need to do so? And/or is there an extremely patient person here who might be willing to talk me through the process step by step?

TIA for any help,

Tony.

Outcomes