9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 6:42 PM by Kelvin Lamport

Angular Dimensions

Jason Hogue
      I am trying to dimension two lines at an angle to each other in two seperate places within a drawing view.

On the lower two lines, when I place an angle dim, the resultant is the angle between the lines. (what I am after)

When I try and place a dim between the upper two lines, the resultant is 360-the angle I am trying to display.

Is this a setting/feature of SW that I can turn off or is there another way of placing angle dims that will just give me the angle dim I am looking for.

Attached is a pic of the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
        • Angular Dimensions
          Kelvin Lamport
          The dimension placement (after selecting the lines) can be controlled by moving the cursor into different 'quadrants' around the vertex of the angle.
          • Angular Dimensions
            Kelvin Lamport
            If you want the dimension at the top, select the upper pair of lines and keep the dimension placement click between them.

Click on a pair of lines, and before placing the dimension, move the cursor around to see how the dimension changes.
              • Angular Dimensions
                Jason Hogue
                Keven,

Thanks for your help with this frustrating little problem. But.......

Yep, I have placed the dim as you suggested but still this dim comes out as 330 degrees. I understand the idea of dimension placement. But no matter where I place this dim for the two lines I am referencing, the dimension does not display corectly. Works fine on the two lines in at the bottom of the view, but not for the top two. (Note both sets of lines are a sketch within an assembly)

The lines I am trying to dimension (light grey) are from a sketch within an assembly. If you look at the second pic I posted, you will see two darker lines directly above the lines I am trying to dimension (either side of the 30 degree value). These lines are from a part within the assembly. If I select these two darker lines, get the correct dimension.
                It is only when I try and put this dim on the sketch that I have the issue.

Jason
                  • Angular Dimensions
                    Eddie Cyganik
                    Jason,

The problem is that SolidWorks provides smart angular dimensions that are not so smart. What this means is the selection of entities determine the first quadrant or section, then by moving between sections, you identify which one to dimension.

So the only solution is to create construction lines on the opposite side that are coincident.

The ideal solution would be to provide the same RMB functionality that allows a Diameter dimension to be locked as a "diameter" versus "linear" prior to placement.
                • Angular Dimensions
                  Deepak Gupta
                  Jason,

Look for Angular Dimensions Between Three Points under help and follow the steps shown in the video (in help files) or

1 Click a point to be the vertex of the angle (intersection point of the two lines)

2 Click the other two points. (end points of the two lines)

3 Move the pointer to show the angular dimension preview.

4 Click to place the angular dimension.
                  • Angular Dimensions
                    Kelvin Lamport
                    Jason ... Which SW version and SP are you using?