AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to Pattern "Up to Surface" Features?

Question asked by Victor Carosi on Oct 14, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2019 by David Lane

Hey SW Forums,

How does one pattern "up to surface" extrusion features? This has been annoying the crap out of me. No matter what I do, I cannot pattern an "up to surface" or similar type of feature with that geometric condition. The pattern fails because SolidWorks claims it could not merge the feature despite the fact that the pattern lies entirely on the same face as the original feature. (Exact error text: The feature could not be completed (Failed to merge bodies)) If I tick the "geometry pattern" check box, I get the ever-so-helpful error "Geometry pattern fails" in the top left corner. I thought this is exactly what that button was for... (FYI this is a single body part that was combined from 2 bodies, and I'm running SW2018 SP5, but I've run into this on far more basic parts that were not a combination of bodies)

Of course, if I change the feature to a blind extrude, it works just fine. But that's not what I want to do, and often that creates more issues in the long run.

Even just knowing why SolidWorks can't perform this seemingly simple operation would be helpful.

Thanks everyone.

Outcomes