13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 10:59 AM by Tony Vitale

Surfacing Problem

Tony Vitale
      Hi all.

I am playing with the boundry feature and i think i have a good situation where it is a good feature to use. Problem is that after i mirror the halves. i get a pinch point ,and not a smooth effect. Attached is the model. Perhaps boundry is not the way to go, but i;ve tried sweep and loft with guide curves. boundry has given me a surface, nut not quite there yet. Thanks in advance!

Tony
        • Surfacing Problem
          Matt Lombard
          edit the boundary surface and in direction 1 make sketch 5 Normal To Profile.

That should do it.
            • Surfacing Problem
              Tony Vitale
              Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that but the pinch is atill there. I played with the tangent % but that didnt work. Am i missing something? Thanks!
                • Surfacing Problem
                  Tony Vitale
                  well after trying again. it appears to be gone. I set the tang to 100%, and tang length to 1.000

The thicken command doesnt work, but when i do a mirror and knit it gives me a smooth edge where the 2 halves come together!

Any idea why thicken doesnt work? Thanks
                  • Surfacing Problem
                    Douglas French
                    It's probably due to the singularity found near the ends (see attached). You'll have to cap off the ends and fill or try a different approach sans singularity.

edit: Matt's too quick...
                      • Surfacing Problem
                        Tony,

Douglas is correct. you generally want to avoid making n-sided surfaces from boundary and loft features - meaning a one-directional surface who's curves share one or both ends (your case) but also 3-sided or 5 or more sided surfaces. You'll want to use fill for all three of those cases.

So, on your remote, don't delete your boundary surface but rather edit it and delete your two first direction curves (the major side profile and partline edge curves.) Use the selection manager to pick the same two curves instead and then turn on 2nd direction trim checkbox and you should now have a regular 4 sided surface with the ends excluded from the boundary.

Now build caps on the ends using the Fill surface. (see attached.) This should eliminate the pinching problem on the ends.
                          • Surfacing Problem
                            Tony Vitale
                            Thanks guys! I'll post some results later today.
                              • Surfacing Problem
                                Tony Vitale
                                well getting better. Problem is that i have pinch points at a couple of surface fills.

Surface fill6 and boundry-surface8

Surface fill3 and boundry-surface7

Very hard to see, but with zebra stripes its there.
                                  • Surfacing Problem
                                    Tony Vitale

Tony Vitale wrote:

well getting better. Problem is that i have pinch points at a couple of surface fills.

Surface fill6 and boundry-surface8
                                    Sorted this one out. Didnt see mark adjusted a setting in the inital boundry

Surface fill3 and boundry-surface7
                                    no luck here yet

Very hard to see, but with zebra stripes its there.

• Surfacing Problem
                                        Tony,

You'll have to repost your part or show images. Here's what I get on the part that I posted yesterday - looks pretty good to me. On the fill surfaces, you can use "curvature" as the boundary condition; this will give you a better result when you use the zebra.
                                          • Surfacing Problem
                                            Tony Vitale
                                            oops, i thought i attached it. Here it is.

also i've edited a bit. the problem is in:

Boundary-Surface8 and Surface-Fill10

Mark, also one other thing i see is that when i mirror the halves there is a sharp edge at mirror line. Shouldnt it be a smooth transition? Thanks
                                              • Surfacing Problem
                                                Boundary-Surface8 and Surface-Fill10

Make Sketch8 in Boundary Surface8 "normal to profile", Pull back Plane2 to 18" and make fill boundary "curvature between boundary surface and fill. - Pulling back plane give the fill more area for curvature.

Mark, also one other thing i see is that when i mirror the halves there is a sharp edge at mirror line. Shouldnt it be a smooth transition? Thanks

Boundary Surface7 - make Sketch5 - "normal to Profile" boundary

Tony, have you considered sweeping the top surface with an arc?

BTW - that's a pretty big remote.
                                                  • Surfacing Problem
                                                    Tony Vitale
                                                    Mark,

You Rock! Is there a problem you cant solve?

Oh yeah i just noticed the size now that you mention it. I saw the ref image on the desktop of a PC @ Solidworks World. I thought it would be a great exercise in Surface modeling since i dont get to do much lately.

i cant believe how much the Boundry feature saves on surfaces and trimming! What an improvement.

You mention sweeping the top surface with an arc, would you mind elaborating some? Thanks again!

Tony