J. R.

Solidworks crashes without exception in IDE when debugging my add-in

Discussion created by J. R. on Sep 17, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 27, 2019 by Artem Taturevych

I am developing a C# add-in for Solidworks. I am debugging it from Visual Studio 2017. The .dll is registered properly, and everything works as it should. For debugging purposes, I set VS2017 to launch Solidworks after re-compiling .dll (Start External Program).

Now, if I set any method to run during the initialization of my add-in in the Solidworks, and it encounters an unhandled exception, I am returned back to the IDE with the exception printed out at the corresponding line of code, so I can debug and fix it, just like it should. However, if an exception occurs AFTER the add-in and Solidworks are loaded, Solidworks closes silently, and the debugging session in VS2017 ends. In other words, no unhandled exception message, no indication to what caused it.

I confirmed this by intentionally creating a method that should cause an unhandled exception (division by zero). If I call this method anywhere during the initialization of the add-in, it am returned back to my IDE with exception info being printed out. If I call this method anytime later (say, pressing button in the UI or on timer), debugging session ends silently and Solidworks closes.

I am not entirely sure if this is a Solidworks thing, or maybe Visual Studio IDE thing, but I hope that someone might have encountered a similar issue, and could suggest what to do.

I am not posting any code because I'm not sure what could be relevant here, but if you need anything to diagnose the problem, just let me know and I'll provide it.

Outcomes