9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 7:55 PM by Eddie Cyganik

ASME ?

Tim Brumm
      When a revision is done should you replace the name with your own?
        • ASME ?
          Eddie Cyganik

Tim,

I'd love to help you out but;

What does: "When a revision is done" mean?
          Do you mean that there is a next/higher revision?
          Do you mean obsolete?

What are you referring to when you say "...should you replace the name with your own?"?
          Part Number?
          Database Name?

...a little help please.
          • ASME ?
            Troy Peterson
            Usually "Drawn By" stays constant and whoever makes a revision change would sign the revision table next to the new revision.
              • ASME ?
                Eddie Cyganik

Good job Troy,

I never thought that the question was about:
                Filling out a new entry in a Revision History Block.
                  • ASME ?
                    Matthew Lorono
                    The rule is that drawn by never changes. Some purist take this to the extreme to mean that even if you completely redraw the drawing from scratch, the original drafter's name goes into that field. I take it to mean that the person who create the drawing goes into that field and it doesn't change unless a new drawing is made (which is generally rare).

The revision by goes into the revision block in place of the old rev approved by field that used to be there. (Since names typed in to CAD drawings have no legal value as signatures, there's no big deal in getting rid of ALL approval fields on the drawing. The PLM or ERP processes maintain approvals for each revision.)
                      • ASME ?
                        Steve Calvert
                        Matt, what rule is that? When we went "Global", the drawing documents changed so that when a drawing is updated that field "Drawn By" changes every time. I want to go back to keeping the original name there and have another field. If you or anyone else could site that "Standard" I could argue the point better.

TIA

Steve
                          • ASME ?
                            Matthew Lorono
                            I believe this is touched on in ASME Y14.100, though I'm not at work this week so I cannot look at the standard first hand right now.
                              • ASME ?
                                Eddie Cyganik

Matt,

I guess I need some clarification too as we are still using "Approved By" in our Revision History Blocks per ASME Y14.35M-1997 (Revision of Engineering Drawings and Associated Lists). According to the ASME website, the 1997 version is the latest.

What does ASME Y14.100 say?
                                  • ASME ?
                                    Matthew Lorono

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Matt,
                                    I guess I need some clarification too as we are still using "Approved By" in our Revision History Blocks per ASME Y14.35M-1997 (Revision of Engineering Drawings and Associated Lists). According to the ASME website, the 1997 version is the latest.

What does ASME Y14.100 say?

Eddie,

Sorry I was getting my wires crossed. The main question is that ASME talks about Drawn By not changing with each revision.

My additional comment is that typed "approvals" into a field have no legal value (regardless to the ASME standards which still require them). The old school days of approving a revision or the drawing itself with a signature right on the drawing are long gone unless one happens to be at a company that still plots drawings and uses that plot as the primary document. In today's paperless environments, there is no value to approval fields on documents where the name of the person is typed in. It's more work and no gain since the real signature (electronic) resides in the ERP or PLM (with the ECO approval processes).

I've not seen an electronic signature system for drawings built into the CAD system to make drawing approval fields legally useful. May one exists somewhere?