AnsweredAssumed Answered

New and Exciting Reasons to hate Solidworks Drawings

Question asked by John Wayman on Sep 4, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 by John Wayman

I have just used a sketch block to create a company logo in a part I have modelled.

I made the logo 0.5mm deep. When I came to show the model dims for the logo in my drawing, the depth didn't show up.

Just for a giggle, I made the logo 10mm (3/8") deep and tried again. Still no show.

I inserted a section view through the logo and told it to show the dimensions in that view:

There it is! Just where it shouldn't be, where nobody wants it.

Is this a Feature? Am I doing something wrong here?

How can I get the drawing to show the correct dimension in the correct position?

Note, this is the second part today in which I have seen this behaviour. I bodged the first one to show the depth dimension in a note.

I'd really like to know how to do this properly, with parametric depth dimension driven by the model.

The cut was created using the sketch block in the sketch, with the sketch plane on the surface of the machined block - the left-hand vertical line in the section view. 

Clearly, the direction of extrude for the cut was into the material, as intended.

I am at a loss to imagine why the dimension of the extruded cut shows up in mid air.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

SW2019, SP3

Model attached.

John

Attachments

Outcomes