12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 11:56 AM by Grant Munro

Cannot "run all studies" in 2009 SW Simulation

Dave Legg
      Has anyone else found problems running all studies in Simulation 2009? The help and Knowledge Base instructs you to use the Run icon in the command manager then select "run all studies". If I click on the icon it simply starts a (single) Run. I'm using the 64 bit version at SP2.1 in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help!
        • Cannot
          I am using the 32 bit version of Simulation Premium, SW 2009 SP 3.0. This inability to "run all studies" has disappointed me, too. Computers should be left in the corner to do work for hours on end, if possible, I say. The lack of ability to run all studies keeps the analyst stuck to the desk.
            • Cannot
              Dave Legg
              I agree, its especially annoying when this feature worked in CosmosWorks 2008!
                • Cannot
                  Grant Munro
                  Hi,

I have had the same problem (32 bit version again) and absolutely share your disappointment.

I did actually briefly post a very similar topic but deleted it when i had a crisis of confidence after reading other posts and further consulting the documentation. Apparently it should be available in the simulation tab and i found this to be missing, but after doing a complete reinstall i still can't find the "run all studies" function (the post which i refer to was "Simulation tab gone?" from Chad Schmidt). It did however solve several other problems.

I guess, like you, i have come to rely on this function. I don't know if you find design scenarios limited, or whether I'm perhaps not up to speed with them, but I agree with David in that I like to solve numerous studies (preferably while asleep at home) and have full access to all of the plots and solution data once they are solved.

It's unbelievably disruptive, not to mention expensive, to set each one off manually and i dread to think where i would be now if i hadn't had this function over the last year. It's also rather disappointing that our not insignificant subscription is being spent on making the package less effective than it was last year. I look forward to explaining that to my accounts department when it comes up for renewal.

That said, i still harbour a hope that it is there somewhere and i just haven't found it.

Best regards,

Grant

• Cannot
                      Ian Hogg
                      Hi Everyone,
                      I expect the real challenge here has been that with a change in the UI for 2009, there was no documentation of where the existing run all studies tool shifted to.
                      If you have the command manager active, there is a callout on the run button to run ths particular study, create the mesh or run all studies.
                      See the attached movie for an example.
                      Cheers,
                      Ian
                        • Cannot
                          Dave Legg
                          Ian,
                          Thanks for your movie. My version of SW (x64 SP 2.1) does not have any drop downs in the simulation command manager, so Run all studies is missing. I checked a colleagues x32 SP 3.0installation and he has the command manager shown in your movie so can run all studies. I'll install SP 3.0 x64 and see if its the same.

Regards
                          Dave
                            • Cannot
                              Ian Hogg
                              Hi Dave,

I checked my 64bit machine with SP3 and it has the pulldown. I don't have any lower SP's to check against anymore unfortunately.

Cheers,

Ian
                                • Cannot
                                  Grant Munro
                                  Hi again,

I'm on SP3.0 but still don't have any drop down menus and certainly no sign of the run all studies function. Thanks for the movie, at least it gives me some hope ...

Cheers,

Grant
                                    • Cannot
                                      Ian Hogg
                                      One thing I have seen on occasion is that the command manager does not update to reflect the lasted settings (in a service pack) and the registry has to be reset.

Do you know how to delete your simulation user settings in the registry (under Current_User)?

Ian
                                        • Cannot
                                          Dave Legg
                                          Hi Ian,

I don't know how to reset the SW registry, is it easy to do?

Our SW reseller has shown me how to add the flyout run command (with the run all studies under it) to my Simulation command manager - if you right click on the command manager>customise...>commands tab> flyout toolbar (top list) > drag and drop the run icon into the simulation command manager.
                                          I'm still puzzled that my Simulation command manager with loads of icons is so different to the "correct one" with only a few icons.

Thanks for your help

Dave
                                            • Cannot
                                              Ian Hogg
                                              Hi Dave,
                                              The first step is to backup your settings using thr "Copy Settings Wizard" from the SolidWorks Tools subfolder in the startup menu. This is primarily for Solidworks, but it's always good practice to back up settings before a change.

For some strange reason I cannot access the knowledge base at the minute (java script is not launching), but the instructions are located in there at least for SolidWorks. Just search for "registry reset".

From the run command, type "regedit"
                                              Expand the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch"
                                              Expand "Sofware"
                                              Expand "SolidWorks" you will see each version listed

You can backup the registry key by selecting the branch (e.g. SolidWorks 2009) and then from the file menu, select export and give the saved file a name (like SW2009 user reg settings). You restore this file, you just double click on it in windows explorer (or use the import setting in the regeditor).

If you delete the current version key from here, it should reset all your user settings for this version of SolidWorks.

I do not have the command manager problem in Simulation at the minute (I had it during some beta versions of 2009) so it's hard for me to test this again. If this fails for you, then under software, there is an SRAC folder, under cosmosworks, delete the cosmosworks 2009 branch and see if that clears it up for you.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Ian
                                                • Cannot
                                                  Dave Legg
                                                  Hi Ian,

Clearing out the key from the registry did the trick. I now have the correct simulation command manager at last.

Many thanks for sorting this out.

Cheers

Dave
                                                  • Cannot
                                                    Grant Munro
                                                    Thanks for both of your useful tips. My problems seem to be entirely consistent with what Dave is seeing and so i have found the drop down run menu by replacing the existing one without the pull down tab.

I will probably try tinkering with the registry settings when i'm feeling brave sometime.

Thanks for your help,

Grant