AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it possible to have one pipe file with a design table that contains multiple configurations of pipe diameters and lengths and you can easily switch between pipe diameters while keeping the same length?

Question asked by Hasanain Shuja on Jul 22, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2019 by Hasanain Shuja

Is it possible to have one pipe file with a design table that contains multiple configurations of pipe diameters and lengths and you can easily switch between pipe diameters while keeping the same length?

Configurable pipe size with multiple diameters, thicknesses and lengths

I was trying to implement this with a design table and I tried to use derived configurations.

1. I initially tried to include each pipe length as a configuration

2. In each pipe length I tried to include the three different pipe inner diameters as configurations

(I was going to simply duplicate these columns in a design table and apply to each pipe length increment)

3. I realized each configuration must be named differently whether it is derived or not and so the concept didn't work

As an alternative I thought about having 3 separate files, with respect to each of the inner diameters mentioned above.

The outer diameter is the same with respect to corresponding inner diameters.

The problem I have is if I were to have i.e. 1000 different lengths,

I don't want to create 11(different outer diameter sizes) x 1000 = 11000 rows of data.

Is there a work around to this?

(I'm guessing I'd have to do some type of excel equation or macro).

If it were one file it would be 11 x 3 (different inner diameters to choose from) x 1000 = 33000

With this option though I would want to avoid toggling between configurations of 33,0000 different lengths if I were to change pipe diameters in an i.e. assembly.

Outcomes