14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 2:41 AM by Boboy Maldo

My drawing environment very slow

Boboy Maldo
      Hi everyone,

I have my 5.4MB part file with 20 total features with 4 major pattern and 2 copied body and 1.4MB part file inserted on it. My drawing seems very slow response.

Pls help me how to speed up my work! very very annoying.
        • My drawing environment very slow
          WELCOME TO THE SW DRAWING ENVIRONMENT. Sorry I do not have anything positive to say or an answer to your problem.
            Anna Wood
            How big are the major patterns?

Patterns will slow SW down in parts, asm and drawings.

How many views/sheets on the drawing? Are you patterns shown in all the views?

Can you do a simplified confuguration with some features suppressed for some of the views on your drawing?

Cheers,
                Boboy Maldo
                Hi Anna,

I have 4 sheets in all.
                sheet 1 - 1 horizontal broken view
                sheet 2 - 7 views (parent view hide, 5 detail view 1 section)
                sheet 3 - 1 crop view
                sheet 4 - 1 crop view

I can't simplify my views by suppressing them, I need them all, I'm suffering this long time ago usually if I have huge part file. Is ther any solution how to speed up my dimensioning task.

pls help! thanks

Anna Wood
                    How big are the patterns? 10's, 100's, or 1000's of features.

There is probably not a lot you can do.

Your computer is definately outdated and not helping your problem.

Big patterns absolutely kill SW performance and need the fastest computers that are made to be managable. Detail drawings make the issue worse with each view essentially another version of your part file that needs to be rendered correctly in your drawing.

If you are constantly work with these kinds of parts an upgrade to your hardware may be in order. Drawings will take advantage of multi-core processors for view regens. But that may not get you to acceptable level of speed if the patterns are huge.

I am assuming you are on a x32 OS and version of SW. Are you getting to the limits of memory on your system? Maybe an x64 bit OS and version of SW will help? More RAM to work with and some added head room for the dataset to work within that RAM.

Can you post your part you are trying to deal with? Maybe a screen shot of the part/drawing? Might be able to offer more help if we understand the part you are dealing with.

You could consider creating a single file for each drawing sheet.

Not sure is there is a miracle fix for you.

Cheers,
                        Boboy Maldo
                        I have patterned body of 5*2 array, I have also pattern sketches of 27*2. Pls see my attached screen shot.

Devon Sowell
                            Hello Boboy-

Have you tried this?

Export the Part as a Parasolid, then Open the Parasolid file, Save it with a different name, and use this dumb solid for the Drawing.

If you use a PDM System, attach the dumb solid file to the real Part file as a child.
                              Anna Wood
                              Boboy,

Those are not very big arrays for the leadframes you are working.

How much level of detail do you have in the leadframe and actual semiconductor package?

Are you designing the entire integrated circuit or just the leadframe and some basic substrates?

A dumb solid as Devon suggests may help you, but you will loss the relationships when you break the link with the dumb solid.

What is your video card in your system? Your system is still a bit old and weak compared to today's standards.

Do me a favor and go over to my blog at www.solidmuse.com and run the becnhmark tests I have there for the Punch Holder and the Sheet Metal Carrier. I have results posted for the control-q rebuild speed of many computer systems. You can see where your computer stacks up for performance against other newer computers. These are both pattern intensive SW part files.

http://www.solidmuse.com/solid...ark-punch-holder.html

http://www.solidmuse.com/solid...et-metal-carrier.html

These are the types of parts I deal with everyday in SolidWorks. My work computer is a Dell Precision 380 with a dual core Pentium D940, 3.2 Ghz cpu. It is a dog compared to today's current computers.

Cheers,

Devon Sowell
                                  It's times like these that you gotta love the Minimum Content Drawing that states, See The 3D Model File For Sizes And Locations
                                      Boboy Maldo
                                      Hi Anna & Devon,
                                      Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate on what Devon said but I don't like to loss the link from my 3D model for future revision purposes but I don't have choices if this work better for my old system. I can save a separate SW 3D model in my folder and use dumb model for dimensioning. I got 270seconds rebuild time of Anna's punch holder and this is too bad for my system. Need upgrade really!

Anyway, what am expecting was perhaps I have miss some SW setting to speed up my dimensioning but it seems my system is too old in designing huge files of leadframes. It really a headache in dmensioning matrix leadframes and what I did was I minimize the pattern numbers instead of making in real numbers. (eg. 4*5 instead of 4*24).
                                          Anna Wood
                                          Boboy,

I see you have onboard video in your computer. That is another big red flag as why you are having issues with SW drawings. Besides needing a fast processor the video card has a big affect on system performance.

I believe a weak video card really shows in drawings. I see it on my work computer as it is getting a bit tired. It is scheduled to be replaced at the end of the year.

I wish there was some magic to help you, unfortunately there isn't with the current computer hardware you are dealing with.

Somehow you have be given a computer designed for the office staff and not a real engineering workstation. The wrong computer platform for the job you are tasked to do.

Cheers,
                                            Devon Sowell
                                            Hello Boboy-

Yes, my suggestion is a hack, but a temporary one. At least you can get the drawing completed and the part made, which usually is the priority.

With proper file management, my method can be continued to be used. For example, if a change or revision was required and then completed, just make another dumb solid. Document your file management system.

Use your test scores to show a return on investment for a faster computer. You'll find that a faster computer will pay for itself very quickly. Remind your boss that you're be paid to sit around and wait, while your existing computer grinds away.

Good luck.