AnsweredAssumed Answered

Batch Replace Components In Assembly Based on Configuration Name

Question asked by Ryan Gaudreau on Jul 12, 2019

Brief Background:

At my company we are no longer using configurations for parts or assemblies due to how our manufacturing software pulls information from our parts. I think this will drastically slow down how we model so I was trying to come up with a solution. 

What I want to do is to design how we used to (with configurations) and then split those into parts (named with their configuration name)  and replace the parts in the assembly later.  I think this will save us a lot of time designing and the mates won't be broken. 

The way I want it to work...

I start with a "Master Part" that uses configurations, let call it 'Part', with configs 'PartA', 'PartB'....and so on.  The macro would find every instance of "Part" in the assembly, read the config name used in that instance (say PartA), and then replace that instance with the created split part, named 'PartA', which will be in the same folder.  

Can anyone help me out with this? 

I'm using the macro from Simon Turner macro to currently split the configurations into parts (I attached it below for reference), but I don't know how to automate  replacing the "Master Parts" with the created split parts.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

--Ryan 

Outcomes