8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 10:38 AM by John Sweeney

Command Manager confused

Chris Challinor
      Lately I have been switching window between a part, assembly, and drawing.....every once in a while I have to shut down SolidWorks because the command manager thinks a open drawing needs the part or assembly commands, or an open part needs the drawing or assembly commands, or an open assembly needs the drawing or part commands........

What the.......is going on now, this all started after updating to SP3.0

At Work System is (because I know someone will chastise me for not posting it)

Hell indecision 690
      Inhell Xeon 5160 @ 3Ghz
      4G Ram (ok windblows thinks it is 3.2GB)
      nVidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 (they really need to make up their mind)

• Command Manager confused
          John Sweeney
          Hi Chris,

There may be something unexpected happening with your registry values. I'd like to get a copy of your registry settings so we can take a look. Can you run the "Copy Settings Wizard" from "Start-All Programs-SolidWorks 20xx-SolidWorks Tools" and choose the option to "Save" registry settings and dump out all the setting options shown on the second wizard page?

Thanks,
          John

P.S. - With regard to your comment on your ranking... We have a slight "usability" issue with our ranking webpage in that "1-Worst" is the default choice. I would imagine there are plenty of cases where users hit the "Rate" button with the default choice of "1-Worst" active. This certainly may have happened in your case.... I'll make a suggestion to our web guys to change the default value.

Chris Challinor
              Here you go, thanks for looking into this for me.
                  John Sweeney
                  Hi Chris,
                  Unfortunately, two of us tried your registry and neither of us could reproduce a problem. Can you describe how you typically switch between documents? Are you using Ctrl-Tab, do you pick in the Ctrl-Tab preview window with your mouse, do you RMB-Open Part from the drawing, etc.? Can you think of any other "unique" things you may do in your workflow that may trigger this issue?

Has anyone else seen this problem and, if so, have you tied it to any particular action or sequence of steps?

Thanks,
                  John
                      Chris Challinor
                      Screen Shot for you on how I select, and wouldn't you know it......at the time it was doing what I said it has been doing
                          John Sweeney
                          Hi Chris,
                          Thanks for the screen shot. It actually gives us some clues. The drawing document is clearly the active window, but the "checkmark" in the window menu indicates that the assembly is the active document, and in fact, the application title bar also believes the assembly window is still active.

In SW2008, we had similar cases of the Window menu behaving incorrectly but believed we had fixed all cases of this problem in SW2008 SP4. If you're on 2009, you may be seeing a different variation of the same underlying issue (ie: the list of documents in the Window menu gets out of sync or activates the wrong document).

From your image, I see you have 3 documents open and the visibly active document doesn't match the Window menu checkmark or the application title. Do you recall the steps you took in getting to this point? This issue might be triggered by making one of the non-active documents "dirty" (ie: it is modified by reference, or a rebuild of a dependent doc, etc. which results in the file name having an "*" asterik appended). It might also be triggered by things like File-SaveAll which causes the "*" appends to be removed from all the filenames, or perhaps some other operation where you could "trick" the order of the documents or the document names (perhaps editing a part in context and then opening it in its own window, etc., etc.).

I've tried all the steps above, and several others, but can't get the bad behavior you show.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                          John
                    Chris Challinor
                    I use the Window, move mouse to Select item method. Old fashioned mouse way
                      Chris Challinor
                      John,

I use save all a lot when doing this work, I change a part in the assembly and then go to the drawing or part to make sure it "updated correctly" then hit save all (or any order of these items like change part in drawing and go to the assembly, hit save all).

Other things to that may be effecting this is the use of our IT mandated security programs (Sophos AV and Altiris Recovery as well as back ground run back ups, I have zero control of these programs and wish I could turn them off). But I have also had this happen on my personal system. Personal system is a MSI laptop with AMD T-65 cpu, ATI PCI2600 video, 8 Gb Ram, Vista 64 bit home edition. (note that this laptop was built for beta testing games on, and as I travel to part manufactures for work I put my copy of SW on it to use for this reason, I do know it is not the best setup for SW but it really works great other than not having real view).

I am willing to bet the Save All issue is the problem as I do use that a lot.