3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 4:42 PM by 1-GZHZEY

Link to BOM limits

Hey guys!

I've been looking for an answer but I gave up.

I'm having problems linking to the BOM. We always use nested drawings, that way all the info is on the same sheet. We use lots of weldments and sheet metal parts in all our designs. Our main assembly is always the first view on the sheet and we refer every part/sub-assy to this view, this includes the BOM. Is there a limit in levels a BOM can be linked to? Attached is a test case that exemplifies my problem.

If I create a BOM linked to Assy1, why can't I link a view of Assy3 to it? The option is always greyed-out. In the BOM I can see all the parts no problem.

Patiently awaiting an answer.

Ren
        • Link to BOM limits
          Joel Bickel

Rene Mignault wrote:

If I create a BOM linked to Assy1, why can't I link a view of Assy3 to it?

Ren

Because they are 2 different assemblies. Linking an assembly to a BOM from a different assembly would be dangerous and confusing.
          • Link to BOM limits
            Eddie Cyganik

Rene,

I agree with Joel.

You can link multiple views to the same BOM as long as all of the views are of configurations from the same assembly database.
            • Link to BOM limits
              Thanks guys!

I also agree with your statement, but what if Assy3 is part of Assy1? Is this still dangerous?

In my attachment, I made an assembly of an assembly of assembly of one weldment. So really I have 3 levels, right? I create a BOM linked to my top assembly views. I then create views for all other levels and even the part itself. I can link the second level view but not the third and part level views? They all belong to the same assembly so I should be alble to, no?

Is there something I am missing?