28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 4:11 PM by 1-N9PAQ1

creating dimples

mark vasquez
      This is my first post here as I have been using SWX since June of 08. I converted from ProE Wildfire4 and I absolutely love SWX now.
      I am trying to creat dimples on teh bottom of a shoe model, I have a couple of approaches but I would like to see if anyone has a good way of doing this by creating geometry and then patterning it.
      When I say dimples I mean just like you might see on a golfball.

any and a ll suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,
      Mark
        • creating dimples
          Mark Kaiser
          http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...&keyword1=golf%20ball

Above is a thread for creating a golf ball. I'd also google it, and see if one is up on 3D Content Central.

You might create solid bodies on the bottom of your shoe that you can subtract, using the combine feature.

If you're into surfacing, there's also a deform and indent feature, though I can't give you much advice on them.
          • creating dimples
            Deepak Gupta
            There can be several methods both using surfacing and solid modeling. In solid modeling you can use the indent feature (Insert > Feature > Indent). Using surfacing, you try to create the surface and then using combination of loft, fillets, etc you can get the dimple effect.

If you looking for the appearance only, then try putting a texture.
              • creating dimples
                mark vasquez
                Mark Kaiser ,
                yes I do use surfacing quite a bit, it makes up about 90% of my model making for shoes. I usually solidify the model and then add detail features using a multitude of techniques. Surface cuts, solid cuts, swept surfaces for some, and so on and so forth.
                what I need is a way to create the feature and then pattern it to fill the tread pattern.
                I'll post up my results as soon as I try these ideas you have given me.

Thanks for the help and Thannks Mark Matthews for your input as well.
              • creating dimples
                Mark Matthews
                If all the dimples are going to be identical, I would do it with a surface or solid that represents the dimple profile you want to remove and then pattern the resulting bodies with the "sketch driven pattern" option. Here the sketch would be either a 2-d or 3-d sketch of points. Once the bodies are patterned you can use the surface cut or solid combine tools to subtract the bodies to make the dimples
                • creating dimples
                  Corey Wallace
                  Mark....welcome to the wonderful world of Solidworks!

Anyway, I would make a second drawing with a field of spheres that have a radius of the dimple you want. Obviously you have to space all of your spheres according to how you want them to imprint on the shoe sole. Combine your field of spheres and sole in an assembly. Position the spheres in the sole as if they were exactly where you want the dimples. Open the sole for editing from the assembly...Insert-Molds-Cavity and subtract your spheres.

Good luck...I'm sure there are several other ways to do it.
                    • creating dimples
                      Jay Andrews
                      I'm envisioning a problem may arise due to curvature of the sole of the shoe. You may want to model the sole as a flat shape, add the dimples and other features, then with the flex tool, bend the sole into shape. Although the flex tool may take some practice to get usable results. Also remember if you want to add features after flexing the sole, you can roll back to before the flex, add features, then roll it forward again.
                        • creating dimples
                          Dwight Livingston
                          I agree with Jay about dimpling a flat sole and then bending it. Fill pattern makes a nice array of dimples. I prefer to use Deform rather than Flex, using the line-to-line option. See image.

Wouldn't a surface-to-surface option for Deform be a wonderful thing.
                            • creating dimples
                              mark vasquez
                              You guys are correct a problem did arise with the bottom being curved, no fill pattering allowed!!!
                              I can not actually create a flat shoe then bend it because I am bound to the shape of my last which is the driving force behind the shape of the outsole.
                              well I did kind of an odd thing with it, it takes a little more work but not much more than an extra step two.
                              here's what I did.
                              1. I made a spline on surface
                              2. added an axis (for revolving)
                              3. created a datum at the end of the curve (spline)
                              4. created a revolved cut in a sphere shape
                              5. patterend that cut using a curve driven pattern

now in order to create the dimpling in a larger area I either have to create multiple curves and do multiple curve driven patterns, or, just pattern the original curve driven pattern which is what I did, but in that lies another dilemma .. so onto todays discoveries..

Sounds a bit labor intensive huh?

• creating dimples
                          Jeff Mowry
                          Another way that might simplify what you just posted (above) a tad would be to project your curve onto your surface (if that works) instead of sketching the curve directly onto the surface. Laborious, yes--you're pushing the envelope. Patterning features on a compound surface is quite laborious. For the same reasons you've stated, I've never been able to make good use of Flex or Deform.

• creating dimples
                              mark vasquez
                              yes projection is one of the many functions of curve building I use alot!
                              Actually in this case as I went back to edit things I realized I had aborted tdrawing the curve and used an edge of a feature..
                              I am really glad I decided to finally use this forum seeing as though I am the only person in my company doing 3d cad modeling.. It's nice to be able to bounce this off other users to get some very good and useful input.

Thanks again everyone.
                                • creating dimples
                                  mark vasquez
                                  here's the result .... obviously it needs some filling in and such but I think if I apply the dimpling first then make the tread pattern I'll get what I need.

Also on another note, i could only seem to get the "propagate visual properties" function to complete the second pattern. It didn't like the copy geometry function for some reason
                                    • creating dimples
                                      Jay Andrews

mark vasquez wrote:

here's the result .... obviously it needs some filling in and such but I think if I apply the dimpling first then make the tread pattern I'll get what I need.

Also on another note, i could only seem to get the "propagate visual properties" function to complete the second pattern. It didn't like the copy geometry function for some reason

Nice work. I'd be interested to see the feature tree on that, though I'm on sw2008. So are the dimples there so the shoe flies farther and straighter?
                                        • creating dimples
                                          mark vasquez
                                          well Jay, here's a screen shot of the feature tree!! I had to cut it in 2 pieces to fit it on the screen...
                                          BAAAAHAHAHAHAAA dimples for better accuracy!!
                                          I am actually at my slow time here in the shoe industry everything is being finalized for spring 2010 production.
                                          The development season starts very soon so I was just messing around with SWX to learn different techniques for adding details and the like...
                                          Oh and I am on sw2008 also I need to get the latest and greatest soon.
                                            • creating dimples
                                              Arnt Wiebicke
                                              Not sure if this is of help here at all but there is a dimple under the forming tools in the design library under embosses. Used it before to create a bunch of embossed dimples.
                                                • creating dimples
                                                  Anna Wood
                                                  Forming Tools only work in Sheet Metal parts.... Great feature, just not the appropriate tool for the OP query.

Cheers,
                                                    • creating dimples
                                                      Arnt Wiebicke
                                                      My apologies. I should have explained it in a bit more detail. What i did is inserted the dimple mentioned above (or similiar) as a part and moved it to my first reference location. I then drew a sketch with a bunch of sketch points (whatever your dimple pattern looks like) and used this sketch with sketch driven pattern to pattern the body (dimple part). You then use the combine command and subtract the bodies. I think surfaces where asked for in this thread which makes this idea obsolete.
                                                        • creating dimples
                                                          Arnt Wiebicke
                                                          Ok lets take another shot at this since i dont think anyone has posted this method. How about drilling a bunch of holes that are very small with the hole wizard into your surface (can be any freeform). You then insert your original part into an assembly as well as the dimple part (i used a sphere). You then align the dimple with one of the hole wizard holes. Then you pattern your dimple part using the hole wizard. After you patterned it you suppress the original part and save all dimples as another part file. And then of course you insert your saved dimple part with same origin into your shoe model and subtract. This way you can get "any" pattern on "any" freeform surface.
                                                            • creating dimples
                                                              mark vasquez
                                                              there is always the mechanical designer solution that I like to use when possible, which is I find tobe the simplest solution.
                                                              make a sketch with a pattern of circles then use "extruded cut" "up to surface"
                                                              the only thing is once it's done you still have to put fillets to make a rounded dimple ......

thanks for all the info and collaboration...
                                                                • creating dimples
                                                                  Pete Yodis
                                                                  Mark,

When filleting, instead of picking each edge that was just created by the up to surface cut, pick the actual feature (up to surface cut) in the feature manager. This will put a fillet around each edge created by the feature, with just one mouse click. This worked in previous releases - can't vouge for this one in this context.
                                                                    • creating dimples
                                                                      mark vasquez
                                                                      That sounds like it'll work nicely to me, I'll give it a shot.
                                                                      Luckily I am afforded time to just experiment at the moment.
                                                                      • creating dimples
                                                                        Mark Kaiser

Peter Yodis wrote:

Mark,

When filleting, instead of picking each edge that was just created by the up to surface cut, pick the actual feature (up to surface cut) in the feature manager. This will put a fillet around each edge created by the feature, with just one mouse click. This worked in previous releases - can't vouge for this one in this context.

Peter,

Still works in 09, I had never heard of this before, thanks for sharing! Looks like the only catch is the feature has to belong to a single body (tried it on a feature that resulted in mulitple bodies and SW said no-no).
                                                                          • creating dimples
                                                                            mark vasquez
                                                                            yeah it does work nicely, sweet little feature right there...
                                                                              • creating dimples
                                                                                I posted this a while back , and I have used it for what you are trying to do (shoe sole details). It might also be overkill. I searched for it and could only find it by going to my recent posts, so I figured I'd give you a search phrase to make it easy on you. No RTFM here!

Simply search "3d spline curve driven pattern on 3D surfaces" and you shall find the post I am referring to.

After you have read it, I would add that the bit about the rollback bar is not how I use this technique anymore, but it is still possible the way I have described it; just not the fastest. Hopefully you will figure out the faster way that I can't remember right now!

I have had very few instances where this patterning method fails, and in the few that is does, there are usually 3 or fewer sketches to repair. The replace relation entity tool can be very usefull. Otherwise, this method updates with upstream changes quite readily.
                                                          • Re: creating dimples

I hope you can help there are embossed dimple in this attached file can you tell me how they are created

jeffrey.weathers@aspenavionics.com