Ken Lux

Leak tracing - Start Face is not laying on the boundary between solid and fluid region.

Discussion created by Ken Lux on Jun 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2019 by Ken Lux

SW 2018 SP5.0

OK, so leak tracker is supposed to help trace leaks so that you can close the model for an internal analysis. I've used it before successfully.

Now I have a model that is supposed to have 2 fluid domains.

1) If I check the volume with default options, fluid volume is zero.

2) If I check the volume with the "Improved Geometry handling" option checked, it picks up 1 domain.

3) So I open the leak tracker to try to find the leak in the other domain.

4) I select an internal face and an external face and then click on "Find Connection" and I get the result:

"Start Face is not laying on the boundary between solid and fluid region."

Wow! So, in order to use the leak tracker to find the leak to seal the fluid domain, I have to have a start face in the fluid domain. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller would be proud!

Seriously, why would the leak checker ever require a start face to be on the boundary between a solid and fluid region? The whole point is to use it to help find leaks that cause problems defining a fluid region! By definition, the start face CANNOT be on the boundary between a solid and fluid region.

Maybe the fact that it found a fluid region changes how the tool works? Maybe the fact that for some reason I need to have the improve geometry handling option turned on means the leak tracker isn't going to work?

Ugggh!!

Outcomes