3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 8:24 PM by Peter Biggert

Ball Joint Simulation

What would be the best way to create a ball joint between two components in an assembly with 2009 premium? I need to insert a roller shaft into a spherical OD bearing, and have them move together but rotate freely. I'm not interested in displacements anywhere near the joint, so I may be forced to recreate the geometry and use points with short rigid links? Not sure that will work, are any other approaches that I can try?
      Thanks
      Bruce
        • Ball Joint Simulation
          Jeff Mowry
          Bruce, does this mean you've got a cylindrical shape inside a spherical shape with a hole (cylinder) through it? If so, you could simply make the cylindrical faces concentric to one another and keep the inner shape from sliding out the hole with a plane mate (coincident or distant). This allows the inner shape to rotate within the spherical shape, while keeping them otherwise together. (Not sure I understood what you're attempting--maybe post an image?)

• Ball Joint Simulation
              I know I didnt really describe what I was after, I'll try again. First thing - I am working in a static analysis of a large assembly in the FEA simulation environment.

On my outer part I have a spherical inner diameter for the bearing housing, and a cylindrical shaft on the roller. I need them to be locked together at a point, but still allow full rotation. I have no problem changing geometry in this area as I just need it to transfer the loads correctly. I'd prefer not to model the actual bearing mating perfection and going to "no penetration" type contact as the study is already large.

Looks like links only connect between points, and rigid connections only do surfaces. It would be ideal if I could connect the spherical id surface of the bearing housing to a point in the center of the shaft. Looks like I may have to use a bunch of rigid bars around the shaft to points in the bearing housing. Not very elegant, but might work.

Thanks
                • Ball Joint Simulation
                  Peter Biggert
                  Do you need the bearing housing? You could constrain your shaft using cylindrical coordinates (Select a reference Axis which is coincident with the shaft axis) and just constrain in the X-direction (radially) allowing motion in the Y-direction (circuferentially) and the Z-direction (axially)