AnsweredAssumed Answered

For my static loads analysis, would it be okay to treat an antenna as a remote load for this simulation?

Question asked by Jeremiah Hess on May 13, 2019

I am trying to simulate a static load case in which a military vehicle has an antenna fixed to a support component. I tried two different simulations, and I wanted to know which one would be preferable for this study. Both pictures were uploaded so you could get a feel for what I'm doing.

1. In the first case, I decided to treat the antenna as a remote load. Therefore, I add the weight of load at the antenna's center of gravity. I also added a load case in which someone applies a horizontal force near the top of the antenna.

2. In the second case, I decided to just simply build the assembly and then only apply the side force near the top of the actual antenna that is drawn. In this case, there are no remote loads.

Could someone help me understand what situations a remote load would be used and what potential problems could arise from using them? I want to make sure that it is valid to use in this static case. Also, if I chose to do a dynamic study, would this also be valid?

Thanks!

Outcomes