16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 11:49 PM by Gary Garrison

Customer Drawing

Ali Duman
      I am wondering How can I create Customer Drawing without creating secondary drawing for the same part or assembly. To create Customer Drawing we are hiding some dimensions or information in the drawing but it is the same exact drawing we use for production. So without creating secondary drawing file or second sheet of the same drawing how can I create Customer Drawing. I wish I can create configuration of the drawing but I don't think I can do it.
      Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks,
        • Customer Drawing
          Joe Dunfee
          Put some dimensions on a layer that you erase from a DWG you export?

Joe Dunfee
          • Customer Drawing
            Eddie Cyganik
            Ali,

I believe the term is "Installation Drawing" but in any case, about the only way I can see this being possible is to use layers.

Place all common stuff on one layer.
            Place all requirements for your Production drawing on another.
            and finally, place all requirements for your "customer" drawing on yet another.

Turn layers on and off as required.

If this is not exceptable, you might try clicking your fingers while blinking your eyes.
            • Customer Drawing
              Chris Challinor
              or cheap and dirty, do a "file save as" of the original drawing. Then delete or hide all of the dimensions.....
              • Customer Drawing
                Jeff Hamilton
                Put your dimensions, etc on a layer and just turn it off and on. Send them a pdf.
                  • Customer Drawing
                    Ali Duman
                    Thanks for the reply,

Yes, putting dimensions in different layers may work. Before export the drawing layers will turned on and off. Yes this will work.

Chris,
                    I can't 'save as' and create another drawing. This will cause confiusion for production. I need to have only one drawing to available in the PDM vault for production.

Thanks,
                      • Customer Drawing
                        Robert Berry
                        At our company we have sales sending customers installation drawings with outline dimensions only.

We used to have two sheet drawings before the vault and engineering would send sales copies of the proper sheet. Many times the assy sheet would be sent along with the installation sheet, not a good practice.

Now we have all of the installation drawings in one project folder and sales has access to that folder only. The files have the same part number, but the drawings in the installation project have an underscore at the end of the part number to dirrenciate the two.

The sales people get thier installation drawing and are locked out of anything else, the production people can get the assembly and all refrenced parts if needed in the assemblys project location.

We found it was not working to rely on sales people to turn layers, sheets, etc on and off and engineering wanted to get out from under the constant requests for installation drawings.

Maybe not the best solution, but another alternative solution to your problem.

Regards,
                        B. B.

• Customer Drawing
                            Eddie Cyganik

Yea, I have to agree with this Bob,

Independent/separate drawings would be the way to go. Most places I have worked used one drawing as their Top Assembly (123456-1) and another for Installations (123456, no dash number).

Production had access to the Top-Level, while the Installation was for customers only.
                              • Customer Drawing
                                Ali Duman
                                I don't think I can create two different drawing for same part in our system. This is going to become issue when revising the files. Now I have keep up with two files. Need to remmeber which one has two drawing which one doesn't.

I wish I can create a configuration of the drawing within the same file, like I can create configuration of part within same file.
                                  • Customer Drawing
                                    Greg Van Arsdale
                                    We use the 2 sheet, single file method.
                                    The drawing file name is 12345.slddrw.
                                    We have 2 sheets inside.
                                    The top sheet is "PD" for Product Definition or Purchasing Document or Production Drawing... depending on who you ask.
                                    The second sheet is "CO" for Customer Outline.
                                    We generate a single pdf file for each sheet.
                                    12345_PD.pdf and 12345_CO.pdf

We didn't want to have to manage 2 drawing files for every part or assembly. The extended enterprise here does not have the software needed to open native CADD documents. We feed them pdf's only.

Good Luck!
                                      • Customer Drawing
                                        Eddie Cyganik

Greg,

This is why I suggested two separate files. As far as your extended enterprise's ability to open native CADD documents, why not use eDrawings?
                                        Also, I have never created Installation drawings for a "parts", only assemblies.

I was just wondering but if your system works you're probably not going to change anyway.
                                          • Customer Drawing
                                            Mikka Roessler
                                            We have been using the two drawing method; mainly because we have Document Control (DBWorks) and need to Approve and Lock the Customer Approval Revisions separately from the Production\Shop general assembly. Also, any item that was a 'Parent' of other objects (DWGs, SLDPRT-ASM-DRW, etc..) could not be approved until ALL of its 'Children' had been approved. This presented a problem as the design was still in-flux and approving the G.A. and all of its 'Children' just to get a Customer Approval out the door was not feasible.

We create layers in the Top Level Production\Shop general assembly drawing to Show/Hide info (BOM, Balloons, Dimensions) that the Customer does not need to see, just to approve the design. When nearing the first milestone in the preliminary design that is 'good enough' for the Customer to see, the Designer adjusts the layers and does a 'Save As' to DWG.

The DWG is assigned a different number (automatically by the system) from the Production\Shop general assembly. The Document Control package allows us to add this document as a 'Child' of the Production\Shop general assembly. The Designer uses AutoCAD or DWGeditor to "Stretch Lines" as necessary and then the DWG is Released with its own Revision Letter and Locked-Down in the PDM from any change. Related distribution documents (PDF, eDrawings, JPG) can be attached or added as a 'Child' of the Customer Approval drawing.

When an additional change is required for Customer Approval, the DWG is Incremented and 'Checked-Out' to the designer. Another 'Save-As' DWG is saved over the Customer Approval DWG from the Production\Shop general assembly SolidWorks Drawing with all new info \ changes. The PDM keeps a history of all documents for each Revision so no information is 'lost' overwriting this new rev of the DWG. The designer makes any adjustments needed and Releases and Locks-Down the new Customer Approval Revision.

With this method we keep the Revision Cycle for the Customer Approvals separate and distinct from the Production\Shop general assembly documents, but all changes are driven from one source the Production\Shop general assembly.
                                              • Customer Drawing
                                                Greg Van Arsdale
                                                Hi Eddie,

First, I need to say thank you first hand for all the expertise that you have provided here at the Forum. You have been an immense help to me on many occasions. Thank You!

We make gigantic (think football field) sludge and scum collection conveyors that operate under water (sewage) at your local water treatment facility. The local municipality is not our customer. Their installation contractor is our customer.

We need to provide General Arrangement drawings to show them how to install the components (parts and assemblies) in their unique sedimentation basin. Additionally we must provide them with drawings of all the components so that they can identify that they put the right part in the right place. The component drawings are also usefull to the end-user's maintainance team, so that they can order spare parts during the systems' 20 plus year service life. All of this gets put into a submittal package that must be approved before we begin manufacturing.

We don't wish to send out our detailed production drawings of components, because they contain our intellectual property.

Enjoy this day! and Thanks again!

Greg
                                                  • Customer Drawing
                                                    Eddie Cyganik

Well, thank you very much Greg,

And thank you for the detailed description of your product and its installation requirments, it provides for reasoning of why you need to go above & beyond the norm when it comes to supplying information to your customers.

I can now see the need for additional drawings such as; Repair Kits, Preventative Maintenance, etc. Also, I do agree, that in many cases you are giving up intellectual property but then again, what other choice do you have?
                                  • Re: Customer Drawing
                                    Gary Garrison

We are havind a similar issue to those mentioned above.  We need to have one drawing for our production floor, and a less detailed drawing for the customer to approve.  Right now we are creating a single PDF document that is being used for both destinations.  We need less info on the customer prints and more on the production copy (material thicknesses, wire diameters, order order qtys). 

One thing we definitely don't want to do is have our sales dept send both drawings to the customer.  Since these questions were posed has SW come out with a solution for this?  Is there a good way to control the access to these documents without creating two seperate drawing files?

Glenn Schroeder

There were several suggestions about having the extra details on a layer that you can turn off before saving as a pdf for the customer.  Will that not work for you?

Gary Garrison

I am looking for a solution that eliminated the potential error of layer activation.  Plus I still ahve the same PDF file issues.  Some of our drawings are multiple pages and it would be inconvenient to have seperate PDFs for each drawing page.  It eliminated one duplicate drawing issue, and creates a different one.  I will look into the suggestions further.

Honestly I was hoping that since the OP was from 2009 we are currently using SW2011 that there was a solution that I might not be aware of that has been released since my last annual release upgrade.