13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 2:26 PM by Jeremy Feist

Bolt Threads

Ian Hayles
      Hello:
      I am new to Solid Works and I have being enjoying the software alot. I have an issue. I am not able to find this particular bolt in the library and I would like to create one. The problem that I am having is creating the "thread" feature that a bolt have. I have looked at a few tutorials using the Helix/spiral feature but , but they were not clear. on the explanation.
      Does anyone know of a tutorial that show this process step-by-step.
      thanks in advance
        • Bolt Threads
          Dale Dunn
          Most people just use the cosmetic thread tool, just as you would for a tapped hole. If you need to model the helical threads, you should be able to find examples on 3D Content Central.
          • Bolt Threads
            Dan Bertschi
            Since I Hay is new to SW, I'll jump in to add that unless you REALLY need to have the threads on a model... please, don't model them. Helix cut features, or any helix feture for that matter, is very performance intensive (uses a lot of computer resources). I would only put a true helix in if you need it for mfg, or high-end graphics creation.

Another option is to do a revolve cut of a thread profile. This appears as threads in the model, but uses MUCH less computer resources.

Just because you CAN model it... doesn't mean you should.

Just tryin' to help the new guy...good luck, whatever you choose.
              • Bolt Threads

Neil Flournoy wrote:

You know, I've seen a lot of replies about "I don't REALLY need to have threads on a model" BUT guess what? I think threads are pretty important and in the last couple of hundred years have become a fairly common way of fastening parts together. I believe that most other Solidworks users would agree that it would be nice to see threads AUTOMATICALLY. If you model a tapped hole the threads should darn well show. If I make a plate with, say 30 1/4-20 tapped holes and 30 1/4" holes I would like to be able to tell the difference VISUALLY. If you make a drawing of the plate you will see 60 circles. WTF? "very performance intensive (uses a lot of computer resources)" Another WTF. That is a Solidworks problem. I don't design airplanes but I do have quite a bit of seat time with Solidworks and Inventor building assemblies with lots of parts and Inventor shows threads and handles the assemblies very well. If Inventor can do it in large assemblies why can't Solidworks? SOLIDWORKS SHOULD AT LEAST MAKE IT A USER SWITCHABLE OPTION!!!!! Then the users that have small computer systems and the 12 the people making space shuttles can turn the threads off. If that isn't the real problem then I apologize to anyone I may have offended but Solidworks needs to get off their fricken butts and fix this. We pay too much money for maintenance every year for a program that can't handle simple threads! The users shouldn't have to choose between speed and simple threads.

Don't hold back, Neil. Tell us how you really feel.

By the way, in the history of machine design, I don't think that anyone has ever drawn threads on their parts (I'm talking about past history - paper and pencil or 2D CAD) because it is an unnecessary expenditure of time. I think it would look nifty, but I'd never trade performance for niftiness. To be certain, the latest CAD packages make that a realistic possibility, but I don't believe there is any true benefit to providing the feature. You can have it, I don't mind. It seems to be pretty important to you. But I think that most of us see it as an unhelpful bell or whistle.
                  • Bolt Threads
                    Eddie Cyganik

Neil,

To further support Ray's comments:
                    Any "technical drawing" resource or manual has a section that describes simplified thread representation. There are several styles and SolidWorks happens to use the most popular, which incorporates the use of hidden lines for the thread silhouettes (profile views) and circles for minor/major thread diameters (plan views).
                • Bolt Threads
                  Brandon Klar
                  Neil,

The replies aren't saying that threads don't need to be represented on a model or drawing, what they are saying is that actual, true to life, helical threads are more often than not unnecessary to model.

My experience with Inventor (back at version 5) did leave me thinking that Solidworks was lacking a little in comparison (in regards to this issue), but Inventor didn't model the threads in the manner that people are warning of either. It merely represented them well using a surface texture.

If I was to make a plate in Solidworks with the 60 holes as you said, most people looking at the model would know what holes are threaded because those holes would be represented by the cosmetic threads that were created with them in the hole wizard feature.

Sometimes I get the nifty "thread" surface texture along with this that I think you are referring to, sometimes I don't. And while I do wish that when the model was shaded that the "sometimes" was "always", the software does get the point across.

Those that look at the drawing would probably also know what holes are threaded, because they would be represented again by the dashed line that automatically shows up in the drawing when the cosmetic thread is used. As far as I know, the dashed line is a still the standard way of representing threads on a drawing.

• Bolt Threads
                      Joel Bickel
                      Niel.

Model the threads if you want to; but when you call Solidworks customer service to complain about poor performance, slow load/save times, and huge file sizes, make sure you tell them that you put in way more detail than you need to.

Unless you are manufacturing the bolt, it is just a waste of time to model real threads reguardless of what CAD system you are using.
                      • Bolt Threads
                        Jeremy Feist
                        the display of the "nifty" texture is controled by Options -> Documaent Properties ->Detailing -> Display filter ->Shaded cosmetic threads
                      • Bolt Threads
                        Chris Challinor
                        Go to McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ and scroll down to the fastening and sealing section, find the bolt you are looking for. 90% of the time you can download a 3D model of the bolt and use it for your project.

If the particular size is not available then choose another and modify what they have to make it work.

Cheating, not really, just using available resources..........