AnsweredAssumed Answered

Vent Port model - Internal or External?

Question asked by Scott Thomas on Apr 19, 2019

I'm building a model to simulate discharge flow from a compartment volume to ambient with an external cross flow - see attached concept image. The goal here is to characterize the vent port flow resistance over a range of pressure ratios, cross flow velocities, and disc tilt angles. I'm only considering cases where the internal compartment pressure is higher than the external ambient pressure. The fluid is air for both internal and external conditions.

My current approach to the model and boundary conditions is shown in the "BCs.png" image (note I'm assuming symmetry). I've chosen to model this as an "internal" flow model where I'm attempting to model the external far field boundary using 'environment pressure' boundary conditions applied to the external far field "walls". The internal compartment is similarly modeled, but with 'total pressure' boundary conditions applied to all the far field "walls".

Is this a good approach for modeling this type of problem with Flow Simulation? Ideally, I feel like I should be able to use an 'external' flow model for this to perhaps better model the external far field, but I'm not sure how I would do that for this problem, given the 'internal' compartment volume. Any helpful advice and tips is much appreciated.

Attachments

Outcomes