20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2019 3:54 PM by Neville Williams

part name on the part

Ramazan Akbulut

hi everyone.

i have an issue with laser cutting company. we send so many parts drawing to them and they deliver everything in same box.

then we get too much work just for to seperate the parts.

i want to have an option that i can write drawing number or part name on the part in drawing file.

so when i send the drawing to the laser cutting, laser with cut the part and write that name on the part.

is that possible? i am new in solidworks and this business.

forgive me if it's been asked before or if its a pointless question.

best regards

• Re: part name on the part
          Glenn Schroeder

It's not something I do often, but you can extrude cut or extrude/boss sketch text, and the text can be linked to the Part name.

Daniel Mapp

At the one place I worked we used to part number-Revision stamp all our parts.

All SW files were saved as the part number without revision, we then has custom properties setup:

These properties were linked to in an extruded cut feature:

$PRP:"Partno"-$PRP:"Revision"

We would then call out the part number stamp on drawings, we had a block we used to drag in to automate this, something like.

Mark $PRPSHEET:"PartNo"-$PRP:"Revision" 4mm high in this location.

Not the most streamlined of processes but at least with epdm setting the revision it was all relatively automatic in terms up upissues etc.

Dan Pihlaja

Yes, I do this kind of thing all the time.

On the part:

Engraving text is linked to custom property.

Then, on the print:

Kevin Chandler

Ramazan Akbulut wrote:

hi everyone.

i have an issue with laser cutting company. we send so many parts drawing to them and they deliver everything in same box.

i want to have an option that i can write drawing number or part name on the part in drawing file.

so when i send the drawing to the laser cutting, laser with cut the part and write that name on the part.

best regards

Hello,

This is added cost without a guarantee of remedying the issue.

What do your terms with the laser compony company dictate?

Would it be better to address the issue with them?

What are their thoughts on how to fix this?

Kevin

Barry Watkins

Actually, yes, they should be able to bundle the parts with a copy of the drawing or label them for you. Just add it to your contract with them. Seems like that might be more cost effective than stamping every part via SolidWorks. You could also specify that your vendor simply marks the parts with a marker or some other method. A lot of places have their vendors do that. It's all doable, you need to decide which way makes more sense for you.

Ken Maren

Talk to your vendor.   Our software requires that anything laser etched only be a sketch.  

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Did you said, something like this?

Sistema de marcaje y grabado laser industrial Fiber Laser FL-20 - YouTube

Talk with your vendor, maybe he has one solution to your challenge, as I see you don't need to make mark on the product maybe.

Kelvin Lamport

Ask the vendor to wrap the parts in their respective drawings, or at least separate the parts with a copy of the drawing.

Jacob Harris

Seems like just more work on your end.

I'd do as others suggested and contact the vendor.

Have them partition the containers and label each section or bundle the same parts together with their respective drawings.

Dave Bear

What about if you were to agree to a naming convention with your vendor for your parts?

For example, if you are sending 'dxf' files of plates to your laser cutter you could save the dxf file with a naming convention that easily explains and identifies things.

Let's say on drawing 001-01 you have a part "item 24" in your BOM/parts list which you need 10 off. The plates are 6mm thick and are cut from Mild Steel (MS) plate. You would create and save your dxf file with the name below.

(001-01) - 24-10-6-MS

Your supplier then simply either marks each plate (paint pen) with this number or bundles the 10 plates together and then marks them.

Using this type of convention, you know just by looking at the code what drawing the plates belong to, what item (specific part) they actually are, and how many you should have............

Dave.

David Matula

I used to have a standard note, stamp, bag or tag with part #, on each part drawing.  As long as the part number was on the part I was happy.  smaller parts could be bagged, and unusual parts could be tagged.  This saved me time, of putting the part # on the part, and the added features would make the file size larger. 

Carrie Ives

And I don't know how many times I have been able to start troubleshooting something more quickly because the part had a number and revision on it. It's very common to ask the manufacturer to put the number on the part in some fashion. A few months back, we were able to determine that a problem that was being seen in the lab, had already been addressed. The parts they had were marked as rev C parts. The ones that had solved the problem were rev E (I think. I may have the letters wrong.) When we found newer units that had been build by manufacturing rather than engineering and had the latest parts, the problem wasn't there.

@ramanzan_akbulut -  I've worked at several different companies. Here are some samples of the notes I put on my drawings about marking the parts:

MARK PART APPROXIMATELY WHERE SHOWN WITH PART NUMBER AND REVISION

MARK PART ON INSIDE SURFACE WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

PART NUMBER

REVISION LEVEL (REMOVABLE INSERT) (For plastic parts)

DATE DIAL (MONTH/YEAR) (For plastic parts)

NOTE: IF UNABLE TO MARK PART, THEN BAG AND TAG WITH THE SAME INFORMATION AS INDICATED

ITEM IDENTIFICATION: INK STAMP THE FOLLOWING IN 3 +/- .5 HIGH CHARACTERS:

PART NUMBER

REV (MARK CURRENT REVISION LEVEL)

John Stoltzfus

Ramazan Akbulut - This is how I would do it and have done it many times....

Use the "Text" Feature and type your note right in the "Text Area" - The one advantage of doing it this way is....  Using a the Text feature allows you to draw a line, curve or circle and have the text follow that geometry, plus you have a "Lot" more options then using the standard Note Feature...

Go Tools/Sketch Entities/Text

You can also put that sketch onto a different layer

Jody Holm

Lasers can burn the part number on the piece too. Another option if you can get away with having a permanent number on your parts.

Neville Williams

1-9J42BQ7 wrote:

hi everyone.

best regards

I have just done a job where all parts needed to be marked with Part Name.

The laser cutter was not impressed with me sending him DXF with lettering as shown below.

If you send DXF files to laser cutter, it's probably not a good idea, when using sketch text /text, to send part with regular filled font. The letters always come out with an outline and no fill in the SWX drawing. The laser is going to go all around the whole outline (as below shown with Arial font)

As Jody Holm  notes above, modern laser cutting machines switch to an engrave mode rather than cut thru if the text sketch is set to gray. You would have to confirm this with your supplier!

Text should map thru to gray when outputing a DXF file. (see below) The end result on the parts was clear and easily readable.

We used a unfilled single line font like the old ISO1, ISO2, etc from Autocad. You could also use SWX SWIsop2 font if you do not have autocad on your computer.

The laser can engrave quickly in this mode, which it switches to when reading the text in a gray colour. Well it did this on his machine - I'm kinda asuming all modern lasers work this way.

Dan Pihlaja

Hrmm, I am using SWIsop2 and it isn't showing up the same way your's is.  See below:

John Christensen

The lasers we have use a subroutine within the machine to regulate the laser "cut" so as to only penetrate the material a small amount, leaving an "etch" mark and not a cut through.  The nesting software recognizes the layer that the etch geometry is on, and calls the correct laser subroutine in the nc code.  The whole scenario is custom to our shop, laser, and nesting software.  Here, the etch geometry is located on layer 1, cut geometry on layer 0, the nest software creates the subroutines in the nc code, the lasers cut/etch accordingly.

A single line/arc font is required.  Splines end up being parsed to lines .03" long, with laser stops at each line - essentially halting the machines.  We try to avoid splines.