AnsweredAssumed Answered

How would you do this?

Question asked by perry leets on Apr 11, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2019 by perry leets

I am trying to create a form tool for the attached part, this is a real part that does exist.

I'm not attempting to add all the extra holes and cuts in the tool, I can do that later in another process.

I can build the form tool with a couple sketches (you can unsuppress the tool to see what I did) but when I try to form a piece of sheet metal with it I get the "The part's thickness may not be compatible with this form tool. The thickness must be less than the minimum radius of curvature for the form tool. " error.

I suspect this may be due to the fact that the starting face and ending face are not co-planar, because I built a very similar form tool in which those faces were co-planar and it worked fine.

So my next idea was rather than start by lofting a solid, use the sketches to create a lofted surface, then just extend the surface past where I need to go and cut the resulting part after. That didn't work either because of geometry of the two sketches and them being offset in more than one axis, it created intersected and twisted surfaces when I tried to extend them.

I've been fooling around with this thing for a couple days and still don't have it right.

Can anyone offer any ideas for another approach?

Thanks

Attachments

Outcomes