AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can't get material change to apply to all parts in assembly

Question asked by Mark Soldan on Mar 31, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 by Mark Soldan
(2008 SP5.0) I have an assembly with many parts. I have applied materials to parts on a part level. When applying a material, I always check the "Link Material" check box.

When I change the attributes for a particular material I expect all parts that have appearances that are linked to the that file to change as well. That's not the case. Only the part on which I edited the material changes.

I've triend forced rebuilding, reloading the model, restarting SW, or restarting my workstation... no luck. The only way I can get the material change to apply to every part is to essentially edit every part (though I don't actually change anything). In other words, it seems as if each part caches it's appearance settings and to get it to re-read the material file, I have to open up the Appearances feature manager for each part.

What am I missing"?

On one hand, it's hard to believe that this is intentional behavior, but having used PW a bit now, I've learned to temper my expectations. I wish SW would put some real effort into the PW user interface. It takes far too long to figure out how to do things and even longer to actually do them.

Outcomes