AnsweredAssumed Answered

Mult-body materials reverting back to parent material

Question asked by Chris Lindloff on Mar 22, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 2, 2020 by Marian Dobre

We design most of our products in a single "part" which has multiple bodies.  At the end of the design we create a "save bodies" feature and "consume" each of the bodies into their own part file.  Normally we leave 1 body in place to act as a "parent" to all the derived bodies.  This leaves a main file which can be reference back to to edit any of the parts with the native tree.  It also allows us to send a part file for each component we need. 

Once the bodies are "save out" we go into them and define custom properties through the property tab builder, and also set unique appearances and materials to each of those components.  We are having problems with these material and appearance settings not staying to what we set them.  Too often they revert back to what the original "parent" part was set too.  I don't know if it is a result of rebuilds, or some other setting.  It is driving me nuts, I want to be able to set the appearance and materials of the child parts ONE time and not have to look back.  Too often I do not catch it until I am printing drawings for initial review.  The materials are also changing in bills of materials created in Solidworks, so those need to be checked and rechecked.

Is this a quirk of 2018?  Can I hope for something better in 2019?  I don't recall this being a problem a couple years ago with previous releases?

Or is there a setting to not populate appearances and materials to child parts?

Outcomes