36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2019 11:28 AM by S. Casale

What do you think about user groups?

James Adkins

Do forum participants attend user group meetings and what are your reasons for attending or not attending meetings in your area.
      If you will share your thoughts on this topic, good or bad, it will help us (me) make my group better and more beneficial attendees as well as enticing to those who do not.
      If you do not attend meetings, what is required to peek your interest and get you involved?

I am adding some points to this as a result of thoughts sparked by comments below. These will be in red text so that you can add to your comments if you care to. I will continue to update this as responses are added.

Some specific questions include:

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting (Miles)
      2. What times of day would be best for meetings?
      3. What are the most important points of the meeting?
      4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group?
      5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced.
      6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to?
      7. User Group Name
      8. Presentation topic
      9. Presenter qualification
      10. SWAG (Door Prizes)
      11. Location
      12. Food (Pizza, Subs, other)
      13. Cost
      14. Meeting day of week
      15. Convenience
      16. Method of notification (email, SWUGN site, text, linkedIn, other)
      17. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings
      18. Number of annual meetings a group should have
      19. Version of SW
      20. How far are you from the closest user group
      21. Do you visit SWUGN.org

Thank you for the time and thoughts provided. Your insight will guide our group forward and make it a better experience for all.

• Re: What do you think about user groups?
          John Pesaturo

James, I personally love the "User Group" meetings and attend every single one I'm invited to unless there's something I simply can't get out of.

Typically, I'll attend the meetings looking for insight into ongoing issues with some of our designs and concepts but mostly it's for that chance of finding that one (or more if I'm lucky) tip/trick that saves me from pulling what's left of my hair out.

The only additional thing I would mention is that the majority of all meetings I've been to also have a meet and great/networking portion prior to the user group getting going. I never use this portion of the meeting as I'm happily employed but it's a benefit for anyone out there that may be in the market for a job or a contracting gig as it were.

What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? I've gone as far as 60-70 miles (about an hour and a half drive) for a meeting before but most meetings I've attended are within a half hour away.

• What times of day would be best for meetings? Most of our meetings out in the New England area have been about 5:30p to 6p. A little tight timing wise for some but it works out great for me.
          • What are the most important points of the meeting?
            1. Presentation topic - Definitely one of my top picks ...
            2. Presenter qualification - Never had a preference, most presenters have been great
            3. SWAG - Unimportant
            4. Location - Unimportant
            5. Food - Bonus here, but unimportant
            6. Cost - This may be an issue I guess but all of our meetings have been free with the exception of C2D in Foxwoods which was more of a local scale SWW
            7. Meeting day of week - Unimportant
            8. Convenience - Life is never convenient, I always try to make the time
            9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings? Physical
          • With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? Any of the previously mentioned presenters are fine by me, they have all been excellent ...
          • Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. - Not sure ...
          • Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? Oh no, not for me ... LOL
              James Adkins

Thank you John.

These are exactly what I am interested in.

One point that I might emphasis to you is to consider attending the meet and greet because it is a time when you can share your thoughts, ideas, mentor and just really get to know the others in the group. We often run and gun so much that we miss the little things like that. You might not be seeking a new job but you might also help someone, who needs a little experienced insight, who is. I like this time as it allows open conversations for all. My guys talk hunting, fishing, modeling what ever they want and they usually laugh a lot which is something we all need.

John Stoltzfus

James Adkins  wrote:

Do forum participants attend user group meetings and what are your reasons for attending or not attending meetings in your area.
              If you will share your thoughts on this topic, good or bad, it will help us (me) make my group better and more beneficial attendees as well as enticing to those who do not.
              If you do not attend meetings, what is required to peek your interest and get you involved?

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? 20 miles or less
              2. What times of day would be best for meetings? 7:00 pm
                1. Presentation topic - #1
                2. Presenter qualification -  N/A
                3. SWAG - N/A
                4. Location - Nice to be centered within a group
                5. Food - Always
                6. Cost - $0
                7. Meeting day of week (we have ours Thursday Nights)
                8. Convenience
                9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings?  Physical
              4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? Someone from within the Group #1 - SW Employees #2
              5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. (just pick one)  either or
              6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? Yes

Thank you for the time and thoughts provided. Your insight will guide our group forward and make it a better experience for all.

Todd Blacksher

James Adkins wrote:

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? - One of my regular meetings is 196 miles each way.
                2. What times of day would be best for meetings? - Definitely night, I wanted to drop in to one of Betty Baker's meetings, but they are usually during the day.
                  1. Presentation topic - #1 (This is why I am there)
                  2. Presenter qualification - It is hard to get Users to present, so I am usually flexible (and most will try to help out if the presenter is having some issues.)
                  3. SWAG - It's nice to have, but not a deal breaker
                  4. Location - I am a big fan of companies hosting meetings and offering tours, but schools/libraries/others are just fine.
                  5. Food - It's free, so I'm not going to be too picky - The St. Joseph UG always has good food, and it's only 141 miles each way.
                  6. Cost - #2 (Should always be free)
                  7. Meeting day of week - Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday usually works best, this is also dependent upon the region
                  8. Convenience - The easier the better - Most people just want to show up and learn
                  9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings? - Physical, but Virtual is nice if it is a great distance, or inclement weather
                4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? - I'd say a little bit of both, leaning slightly toward the "Experts"
                5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. - I try to mix it up to cover all skill levels.
                6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? - All the time, and all the time.

todd

David Matula

James Adkins wrote:

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting?
                  2. What times of day would be best for meetings?
                    1. Presentation topic    Id drive a few hours for the right topic.
                    2. Presenter qualification  maybe a really special guest
                    3. SWAG    been to many meetings where the prizes are given by trivia and some times you win some times you don't. 
                    4. Location  better attendance if it is not to far to drive. 
                    5. Food   hot and lots of it.
                    6. Cost  ? better be $0 or a very special event like a sports outing....
                    7. Meeting day of week....Tuesdays or Thursdays are good. 
                    8. Convenience:  if the presentations are worth it.  May be why I never attended the San Antonio meetings. They where on the north Side of town, making it a hour farther to drive, and then getting home at a late hour. 
                    9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings?   Physical I like to talk to people.
                  4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group?   Anyone that is willing to get up and show something.  It takes a lot of nerve for some people to get in front of a group. 
                  5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. 

I think there should be a theme for each year.  A little 2 to 3 part series could be a short video, that shows off some feature of the program.  This way all groups would have some topic to get the flow if ideas going. 

6.  Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to?  I have a learned I was doing stuff the hard way. Love the crowd that gives you live feed back.   

How about a special event for areas.  Like 3 or more groups in close proximity get together and plan out a weekend get away for the groups were there are some fun things to go and do along with some educational times when presentations can be done.  It would take some planning to coordinate the group discounts to activities.  Just one of many ideas I come up with. 

James Adkins

Thank you David,

For the collective group meeting, you might reach out to the other groups and ask if there is an interest in it. While you are willing to travel a bit, many others are not unless it is something very special. It is a worthy idea so ask them and find out what they say. I hope it works out so please let us know.

Steven Mills

What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? 35 or so miles at most.

• What times of day would be best for meetings? Evenings after work. Don't want to take time off or have to justify it to a boss to make it a business meeting.
                      • What are the most important points of the meeting?
                        1. Presentation topic Good to know ahead of time. Can't make every meeting.
                        2. Presenter qualification As long as they know what they are talking about.
                        3. SWAG Nice but not important.
                        4. Location Anywhere within an hour travel, and semi-private.
                        5. Food Nice but not important.
                        6. Cost A few dollars to cover expenses. But you get to $40 a meeting and the entire thing become insular.
                        7. Meeting day of week N/A.
                        8. Convenience Important.
                        9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings? Option for both would be nice. But if had to choose, physical is good. Not everyone is set up for good virtual conferencing.
                      • With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? I seem to get more pratical stuff from peers. Get the expert in, and they're usually selling something.
                      • Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. a good idea. Have intermediate be more advanced and low cost. The advanced can excuse the $40 or more entry fee.
                      • Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? Indifferent.
                        S. Casale

James Adkins wrote:

If you do not attend meetings, what is required to peek your interest and get you involved? < I attend when I can and more specifically when our leader remembers all of the email list he has. My Var had to let me know the last two meetings.

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? ~20-30 minutes
                        2. What times of day would be best for meetings? 18:00 or later
                        3. What are the most important points of the meeting? <?Points of the meeting or preferences
                          1. Presentation topic < this
                          2. Presenter qualification
                          3. SWAG <sure
                          4. Location < this
                          5. Food <always an incentive
                          6. Cost <meetings shouldn't cost users anything
                          7. Meeting day of week
                          8. Convenience < ?   silly, It would be cool if the presenters would come to my work
                          9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings <physical, if I wanted virtual I would look things up online or sit on the forums all day
                          10. Number of annual meetings a group should have <once every two months would be ideal IMO
                        4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? <Not just someone who is trying to sell me on an add-in and not just someone who just learned something an expert would know
                        5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. <yes
                        6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? <no and/or no

James Adkins

Thank you for the input. It is very possible to host meetings at you location, if the company allows it and there is a space to facilitate the entire group and if it the space is available when the meetings are planned. Reach out to your group leader and offer to host a meeting. You never know, maybe it will happen, if you want it to.

S. Casale

1-39BYZU6 wrote:

James Adkins wrote:

If you do not attend meetings, what is required to peek your interest and get you involved? < I attend when I can and more specifically when our leader remembers all of the email list he has. My Var had to let me know the last two meetings.

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? ~20-30 minutes
                              2. What times of day would be best for meetings? 18:00 or later
                              3. What are the most important points of the meeting? <?Points of the meeting or preferences
                                1. Presentation topic < this
                                2. Presenter qualification
                                3. SWAG <sure
                                4. Location < this
                                5. Food <always an incentive
                                6. Cost <meetings shouldn't cost users anything
                                7. Meeting day of week
                                8. Convenience < ? silly, It would be cool if the presenters would come to my work
                                9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings <physical, if I wanted virtual I would look things up online or sit on the forums all day
                                10. Number of annual meetings a group should have <once every two months would be ideal IMO
                              4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? <Not just someone who is trying to sell me on an add-in and not just someone who just learned something an expert would know
                              5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. <yes
                              6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? <no and/or no

adding:

1. Version of SW - Latest
                              2. User Group Name - that's too personal
                              3. How far are you from the closest user group - Within 15 minutes
                              4. Do you visit SWUGN.org - yes, my user group doesn't show up, never has for some reason.
                              5. Method of notification (email, SWUGN site, text, linkedIn, other) - email only

Thanks Rick McDonald for the updated reply format

S. Casale

I'd like to know how the SWUG unit "president" or whatever he/she is called gets to be in the position? They damn well ought to be more experienced or versed in SW than I. It doesn't seem that beyond SW essentials experience or having a fundamental understanding of Parametric Solid modeling (with or without Design Intent) is a requirement. I am not even certified ... yet (i guess i should prove I can handle the CSWP or E).

I won't go into detail about the experience I have had to go through to fix certain folks in that position holey (or holy) eff ups. I am not making any further comments.

James Adkins

Most of the time groups are founded by someone who sees a need in the area and ask to start one. Some have been passed down to a member of other person who is willing to take the reins and carry it forward. We are typically called group leaders although some have chosen different titles. There is a lot of work that usually goes into leading a group, especially if there isn't anyone to assist a leader or to help manage all the task required to run a group successfully. If you feel that there is a real concern with the present leader, I would suggest that you first offer to help him/her if they do not have another to do so. If that doesn't fly, you can then reach out to the regional rep who can reach out to the leader and hopefully help him/her become more effective as a leader. If you do not know who the regional rep is, visit www.swugn.org and see if it is posted for your area or message Todd Blacksher, who covers the mid west region. He can put you in touch with the appropriate rep. Most of the leaders are doing a great job in managing their group but we usually have full time jobs that we work as well as volunteering 5 to 8 hours a week for the group. Try to help your group grow and you will gain a lot more from it.

Thank you for your input and I hope this all works out for you. 

Jim Steinmeyer

James Adkins wrote:

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? I don't think I have ever been fortunate enough to find one at less than 60 miles. I usually have to drive around 150 each way.
                                  2. What times of day would be best for meetings? That is a tough one. With as far as I usually have had to drive it is nice to be done around 8 so I can get some sleep. Then again I have to leave work early to get there.
                                  3. #1What are the most important points of the meeting?
                                    1. Presentation topic  #1
                                    2. Presenter qualification  Needs to at least be knowledgeable and have a topic that is helpful.
                                    3. SWAG  N/A
                                    4. Location  any, but businesses with a tour are nice.
                                    5. Food  Nice bonus, not necessary
                                    6. Cost  $20 or less
                                    7. Meeting day of week  Any as long as it is scheduled a month out.
                                    8. Convenience  What's that?
                                    9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings  I prefer physical but have attended 2 virtual and like them.
                                    10. Number of annual meetings a group should have  4
                                  4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? Either/Or
                                  5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced.  As long as the presenter has content that both can use it is all good.
                                  6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? I have not but would be willing to. I have no idea of anything I know to teach though.

Does it show that Todd Blacksher  Blackshirt has been the user group leader for most of the groups I have attended? His group is currently the closest with only a 4 hour drive.

Steven Varcoe

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? North, south or west; 30 miles. East 12 miles, southeast makes me drive into Boston, you know the traffic.
                                    2. What times of day would be best for meetings? Evening.
                                      1. Presentation topic First
                                      2. Presenter qualification Second
                                      3. SWAG Seventh. Really nice to have though.
                                      4. Location Third, see #1
                                      5. Food Eighth, also really nice to have. I'm diabetic and a regular meal schedule is important.
                                      6. Cost Sixth, we've already paid tens of thousands of dollars.
                                      7. Meeting day of week Fourth, any day except friday. That's boy's night out.
                                      8. Convenience Fifth, see #1.
                                      9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings Physical only.
                                      10. Number of annual meetings a group should have 12 max. A few less is ok.
                                    4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? Experts preferably but knowledgable is a close 2nd
                                    5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. Definately mix it up
                                    6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? No to both
                                      Rick McDonald

James Adkins wrote:

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? I would be willing to drive an hour (60 miles) for a regular meeting, 2 or 3 (up to 150 miles) if something special (if I could get the time off work (even if I have to use vacation time)). I do some travel in my work and was able to go to a SWUG meeting in Boston a couple years ago (got the travel award for most distance to the meeting - about 1700 miles) and I "manipulated" the dates (don't tell my boss) on a customer service visit , by a couple weeks to get to the SLUGME meeting @ DSS last fall. 
                                      2. What times of day would be best for meetings? 5 or 6 start 8 or 9 end - my boss will usually let me go an hour or two early if I ask nicely (and make up the time later).
                                        1. Presentation topic - Top of the list - but really, I will go no matter what if I can.
                                        2. Presenter qualification: - This really depends on the topic. Best if they are very knowledgeable about the subject and can present it well.  I have seen a very technical presentation by a very knowledgeable person but it was way over the head of many and he was very poor at conveying the information so he didn't do well and people felt like they wasted the time.  Also has to be a subject that most or all can relate to.  
                                        3. SWAG - Nice when there is good stuff, not a deal breaker when there is not - I go for the topics and conversations not the SWAG

d. Location - Not so important but should be easy access and centrally located as possible for the group.

e. Food - Good Pizza is ok, we often get sandwich boxes from Jason's Deli (or similar),  A good donated meal / desert is a plus.

1. Cost - Free - but for the right cause or subject I would be willing to donate a few dollars.
                                        2. Meeting day of week - Not weekends (maybe for a super special event) - prefer Tues, Wed, or Thurs. - Monday and Fridays are generally not good - unless it was far away and get home late Friday night.
                                        3. Convenience - Easy access or good directions and good meeting room size (and not too noisy)  is all that's needed.
                                        4. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings - Prefer being there but have done 2 Virtual ones (virtual ones were too early and I work late so had to use earphone and blank my screen sometimes and got interrupted).  Virtual ones should be recorded for times we can't be part of the actual meeting or get distracted by the boss.
                                        5. Number of annual meetings a group should have 3-4 plus if there is something special
                                      1. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? - any are good as long as they can convey the subject matter and / or answer the questions sufficiently.  Would like to see VARS and SW Employees as well.
                                      2. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced. - NO - Even a beginner can get value out of an advanced presentation, that's how we learn and get enthused - but the presenter should allocate time to answer the questions.
                                      3. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? - I was asked, by Richard Doyle,  moments before the start of one of out meetings to give a short informational presentation to our group the year when the Backdating Subscriptions began - I was more knowledgeable about that subject than most users at our meeting (from the post I made about it), I was not a smooth/organized presenter because I wasn't ready - but everyone appreciated the information.  - I would definitely do it again, given the right subject and when I was prepared.

1. Version of SW - 2015
                                      2. User Group Name - NorthTexasSWUG
                                      3. How far are you from the closest user group - 15 miles
                                      4. Do you visit SWUGN.org - I visit this rarely
                                      5. Method of notification (email, SWUGN site, text, linkedIn, other) - e-Mail is best way for me to be notified of meetings

Edited 3/15

Jonathan Albert

1. What is a reasonable distance to travel to a meeting? 30 mins by car.
                                        2. What times of day would be best for meetings? After work.
                                        3. #1What are the most important points of the meeting?
                                          1. Presentation topic - not important
                                          2. Presenter qualification  - not important
                                          3. SWAG  - what is this?
                                          4. Location  - not important.
                                          5. Food  not important
                                          6. Cost  <$30
                                          7. Meeting day of week  not important.
                                          8. Convenience  distance and other commitments play a part
                                          9. Do you prefer virtual or physical meetings  physical
                                          10. Number of annual meetings a group should have  4
                                        4. With respect to the presenter, do you prefer expert level presenters (VARS, SW Employees, etc) or knowledgeable someone from the group? doesn't matter
                                        5. Should groups offer different level presentations at each meeting? Ie. Intermediate/advanced.  Not important.
                                        6. Have you presented at a meeting or would you like to? No

In short, the best part of SWUG meetings is that I can meet new people and discuss Solidworks.

Its nice to have presentations, but I have also learnt heaps from speaking to the other attendees. I highly recommend attending a SWUG meeting, even if the presentation topics don't interest you.

James Adkins

Jonathan, Thank you for adding your thoughts. It makes me wonder if we should consider just having a fellowship session when members simply get to know each other and hold table top discussions. I will post this to my group and see if there is enough interest to facilitate an evening of open discussion maybe in our CAD lab so that members can work on specific issues.

Solid Air

I went when they were here in town but now they are farther away than I want to travel.  I did not get a whole lot out of them (mainly because we are always 2 to 3 versions behind at work).  I hope to go back when things settle down (probably when I retire in several years).   Hopefully tomorrow will come....