4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 5:49 PM by Jeff Sweeney

Requiring Variables

Michael Dekoning
      We have information that we want to be required for some of our documents in EPDM. We enforce this in the data card by setting the Editbox Min value to 1. However, if a user uses drag and drop or copy-paste to add a file, this validation won't work. We looked at making the variable mandatory, but this requires the user to enter the information for any file configuration that doesn't have this data. For example, we have DWG files that do not use paper space so the data is there for the Model but not for Layout1.

Any ideas on how to do this? I've put in an enhancement request to allow a variable to be mandatory by configuration but don't know if or when this might be implemented.

Thanks,
      Mike
        • Requiring Variables
          Jeff Sweeney
          I like to do that kind of checking during a transition. Thus the users don't have to fill out the datacard until they are complete with the document.

In the example below the document cannot go through the transition until at least one character is in the "Title" variable.

(The underscore is wild for any character, the % is wildcard for any other number of characters.)

You can get pretty fancy with the ANDs and ORs...and only do the check if it is a certain file type. As you can see this can even be configuration specific.

Most common uses: To ensure the designer has assigned a material or finish, but don't bother them with it unless they are trying to pass their work on.
          • Requiring Variables
            Patrick Poh
            Ok - i'd like to take it a step further - Let say you have more then one ondition thet has to be met, all have been except one - however enterprise only throws out an error (to my knowledge) that a condition has not bee met - it does not tell you which one

is there anyway to get enterprise to show a dialog that shows the missing condition(s)? and/or screens to fix said conditions?
            • Requiring Variables
              Michael Dekoning
              @Jeff, What you say makes a lot of sense. However, the boss would prefer to have the information required at check in.

@Patrick, This is why the boss wants this at check in, because the message box is not informative enough to let the user what required information is omitted. You just get a "conditions of the transition not met" message.
              • Requiring Variables
                Jeff Sweeney
                I think the only options left would be API or maybe dispatch.