1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 6:57 PM by Peter Biggert

Good way to simulate clamping in a study?

Aaron Hayden
      Hey all,

I am working on a study to simulate a part clamped to a machining fixture. I want to apply a load to simulate the cutting force and see how the part deflects. We want to determine how well we need to support the part with a fixture to keep it from distorting while being machined. Basically, we want to build the simplest fixture possible to keep costs and time req'd down.

So, what is(are) good way(s) to simulate a part being clamped to a plate? The part will be clamped to a plate in certain locations. As a result, the part will be able to flex wherever clamps are not present. I have been trying to use no penetration with a friction coefficient to simulate this relationship, but have been getting errors. I'm guessing the cutting force I applied is overcoming the friction force generated by the clamps and the part is sliding off the plate into infinity. I am going to reduce my cutting force and re-run the study, but I wanted to get some ideas from other users on how to handle this application.

Thanks in advance,
      Aaron
        • Good way to simulate clamping in a study?
          Peter Biggert
          Bolt connectors do not need a hole in the part, just a circular edge. You could put a circular splitline on your part and "Bolt" it to a virtual wall. The virtual wall being a plane which represents your fixture. You specify the bolt preload as the clamping force you want to use and match the bolt diameter to the stiffness of your clamp. The virtual wall can have a stiffness too. This way you do not explicitly model your clamp or fixture, just the part. You may also need splitlines for the areas of your part that are contacting the virtual wall.