4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 11:06 PM by Tim Webb

setting revision variable in workflow

Jason Ebersole

In workflow, I am setting the revision variable for DRW data cards (Set Variable to next value), but not pushing this revision to PDM (Inc. Revision). I do not want PDM to manage revisions yet, but I do want the data cards to increment via workflow.

The revision increments on the data card just fine, until I use rollback. When I do a rollback on a file, the revision on the data card rolls back as expected, but the next time I run the file through the workflow that increments the revision variable, it skips numbers and sets the variable as if I never did the rollback.

Can anyone explain what's happening? Thanks, Jason
        • setting revision variable in workflow
          Bob Anderson
          This is similar to the problem we have. The counter doesn't have a rollback function, it only allows you to increment. So when you rollback the counter isn't affected. I believe when I talked with API people, you could reset the counter through the API but we decided it wasn't worth the effort because ours only affects the minor version .01 (ex: A.01). We did put this in as a enhancement with the Enterprise PDM team because it should be fixed.
            • setting revision variable in workflow
              Jason Ebersole
              I'm incrementing the data card revision early in the workflow so engineers see the new revision number in the titleblock as they work on the drawings. I read of another forum user doing this and thought it was a good idea. Not sure now. If rollback is needed, the revision gets out of whack!

If I save incrementing the revision until the final check & release, this reduces the possible occurrence of this issue. I really liked the idea of incrementing the rev early in the workflow, but it doesn't look like a good idea if this is truly "by design."