AnsweredAssumed Answered

Driving a circular pattern with driven dimensions

Question asked by Alex Lachance on Feb 27, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 by Jeremiah Feist

Our trailers have an arc in them in order to not have them bend on the wrong side. When the trailer is loaded, the arc becomes pretty much flat.

With that said, each cross-member is positionned with a dimension aligned with the X axis. For most of the stuff we design, the hole doesn't need to follow the concentricity of the arc.The problem we have is that we have one or two models which require the use of a circular pattern to be able to have the hole follow the concentricity of the arc.

When we require to modify the spacing of specific crossmembers, we need to manually calculate the angle from the original pattern to the one that has to be modified. It is a real P.I.T.A. when you find yourself with a trailer that has 50 cross-members and half of them need to be positioned in a position different from the standard.

What we do right now is we copy and paste every single angle one by one and then set every instance's angle one by one. I was hoping I could use driven dimensions in order to link them to each varying instances. Unfortunately, it isn't allowed on SolidWorks 2016. Does anyone have any other idea on how to do this which would simply the workload that it takes to modify spacings?

Outcomes