AnsweredAssumed Answered

Thicken Mesh Surface

Question asked by Steven Lawrence on Feb 23, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2019 by Paul Salvador

Hi Everyone,

I have a step file of a 3D scan I am trying to use the "Thicken" feature on. The ultimate goal is to create a solid body of the original step file. My plan was to convert the mesh surface to a solid body using the thickness feature and then use the intersect tool to create the internal volume. I have successfully done this but it will only work when you make the adjustment shown below to the surface trim planes.

First I imported the step file and repaired the surfaces/gaps. Then I inserted into an assembly to orientate the model and add some other components. Then I saved the assembly as a part file to start manipulating. These other components are not important right now.

This is how the original step file comes in and how I repaired it.

Import using file specified units. You may need to then change your file units back to inches after it loads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how the desired part file comes in right now. If you edit the offset distance of the two cut planes the thicken feature will resolve itself. I need the yellow surface to be as long as possible. The cut planes are there to trim up the "frayed edges" from the original scan.

Attachments

Outcomes