9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 8:14 AM by Iain Hendry

2019 SP1:  Make Independent no longer works

Iain Hendry

"Make Independent" is a fantastic way to work especially when doing concept layouts and there are many iterations of parts and assemblies.

We waited until SP1.0 came out and just upgraded to 2019.  The "Make Independent" functionality seems totally broken.

• Previous behaviour was that you would right-click a file, hit "Make Independent" and a file dialogue box would pop up.  The box would already be in the same folder where your part was, with the name of the original part already populating the text field.  You'd hit save and life was good.
      • Now, a box comes up that says "Open" (not Save) which makes no sense - and it's browsed to a random folder (for me, it's "Downloads").  Browsing to the proper destination and entering a filename gives a "File not Found" error when clicking "Open" (which again makes no sense).  Clicking Cancel is the only way to get out of it otherwise you're stuck in a loop.
      • THEN, what appears to be the proper "Save As" dialogue comes up, but no mater what you do you get an error that you can't replace a component of the same name (I'm not!!)...
      • Browsing manually in Windows Explorer shows it did in fact make the renamed instance, but it just didn't replace it.

This is infuriating, when will this be fixed?!

-Iain

• Re: 2019 SP1:  Make Independent no longer works
          Josh Brady

Iain,

Thanks for the heads up on the broken functionality.

However, let me help you manage expectations a bit.... All we can do here is confirm and commiserate (or sometimes tell you there's no problem on our install).  We can't fix it or tell you when it might be fixed.  Sometimes actual SW employees will pop in, but they're often unable to actually get it done either.

Best route is to report to your VAR.  If they confirm bug, they'll open an SPR with SolidWorks, and you'll get notified after they fix it (unfortunately, no schedule for when they will fix it).  If you get an SPR number, you can post it here and we can help elevate it by glomming onto it.

Iain Hendry

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply - I submitted a screen capture video to my VAR and explained all the expected behaviours and what appears to be broken, thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I was kind of "hoping" for a "Yeah, me too!" kind of thing, as much as that might mean that I'll have to wait for a future Service Pack to have it fixed.   Even better might have been "hey, you dummy, you have to do this!"

-Iain

Josh Brady

Iain Hendry wrote:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply - I submitted a screen capture video to my VAR and explained all the expected behaviours and what appears to be broken, thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I was kind of "hoping" for a "Yeah, me too!" kind of thing, as much as that might mean that I'll have to wait for a future Service Pack to have it fixed. Even better might have been "hey, you dummy, you have to do this!"

-Iain

Its kinda funny... A lot of times the most useful thing you can get from the forum is also kinda humbling.  When you get the "hey you dummy" response, you gotta eat a little humble pie but at least your issue gets solved right away! 

The second most helpful one is "I can't reproduce it on my end."  Then you at least have some hope of a reinstall or something to get it working.

The one that's best for your ego but least actually helpful is, "Yep, great find, looks like a bug!".  You get the nice validation, but for an actual solution you have to wait for SW to fix it with a SP (or, if you're really impatient, code around the bug with a macro).

Andy Sanders

Thanks for the warning.  I use this command constantly.  We're not on 2019 yet but I'm not going forward until I can confirm this is fixed.

Jim Sculley

Iain Hendry wrote:

"Make Independent" is a fantastic way to work especially when doing concept layouts and there are many iterations of parts and assemblies.

We waited until SP1.0 came out and just upgraded to 2019. The "Make Independent" functionality seems totally broken.

• Previous behaviour was that you would right-click a file, hit "Make Independent" and a file dialogue box would pop up. The box would already be in the same folder where your part was, with the name of the original part already populating the text field. You'd hit save and life was good.

The first dialog I see (SW 2019 SP 1, Windows 7) when using Make Independent is this:

After clicking OK, the Save As dialog appears with the proper file name and folder location.  If you aren't seeing the above, you've previously checked the 'Don't show again' box.  Lots of seemingly strange things can happen when you check that box for various dialog boxes.  Especially if the dialog offers your a choice (Yes/No/OK/Cancel).  Check your System settings and checkmark any entries and see if things behave differently:

Iain Hendry

As an update, sadly a colleague of mine confirms this is a known issue.    (the "Technical Comments" list exactly what I am seeing)

D6AE4413.PNG

Iain Hendry

A further update:

My VAR suggested I temporarily disable the PDM Plug-In if it's imperative to use this functionality... I gave it a try, and sure enough, it works.