20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 10:51 AM by Daen Hendrickson

Questions on Weldment properties

Matt Juric

For the last couple months I've been working on and off on a way to make our weldment design process more efficient.

In the past the company has done weldments the old fashion way where each part of the weldment was a part and the weldment was an assembly. This allowed any characteristic in the part to be brought through to the BOM in the Weldment/Assembly.

I've been attempting to do the same thing with weldments with little success. Without being able to do this it's been a rather difficult, understandably so, convincing the company to move to SW weldments. Without being able to create a template that has these characteristics already in them moving to SW weldments is actually MORE manual entry than the other method.

Here is an example. Currently every part of every weldment has a part number. That part number consists of the main assembly number and a -01, -02 etc etc. So if we were making weldment ABC123 the first part would be ABC123-01, second part ABC123-02 and so on. For SW weldments this is essentially $PRP:"SW-File Name""SW-CutListItemName". The issue is that, again to my knowledge, the only way to get that into the actual cut list item is by entering. Half the time cut and paste doesn't even work properly as it takes the characteristics of the part you copied it from and you have to go back and change it. If you create the weldment from parts you essentially are making an assembly. Rather than a weldment part template you have a regular part template with weldment part characteristics. That template simply has "SW=File Name" as a custom property and it automatically populates when you start the part. That characteristic is then brought into the assembly and shows up in the BOM.

It just seems that no matter what I try, templates, profile templates and so on there appears to be more manual entry and more working using SW weldments than the old method.

In the perfect world it would work like this and if this is possible in some way please let me know.

1) Create a weldment template with all the characteristics you want in both the weldment and for the parts in the cutlist.

2) Create part from template.

3) All the pieces created for the weldment have characteristics added to them

4) create drawing add BOM and it's auto populated.

Again, if there is a way to get there I've not been able to find it. There are two issues that seem to be the biggest problem. First is the "Part number" which would consist of the file name and cut list name. Second is the fact that it does not seem that a template for weldments carries over any items in the actual created weldment part. Each weldment requires the user to add all the characteristics to the main weldment after it's created.

Thanks for any input

• Re: Questions on Weldment properties
          Mark Greenwell

Hi Matt,

If I use Weldments what I do is on the Weldment icon I, Right click and add some custom properties, This populates all the cut list parts with this information.

Then in the cut list I again R-Click on a part and add the part number and the other info.

then in the drawing cut list I insert columns that reference these custom properties.Then save this cutlist as a template

Thanks

Mark

Matt Juric

This is what I have been doing which save having to do it for each part in the weldment but some properties, particularly the part number which is a combination of the file name and cutlist name, don't seem to work. So I end up putting all the properties into weldment icon and then having to fix the part number and a few other properties in each part.

On top of this that means I have to add all the properties to every weldment created. You don't have to do that the old way as all these properties are in the template part and most are "Automagically" filled in.

Daen Hendrickson

Mark Greenwell wrote:

If I use Weldments what I do is on the Weldment icon I, Right click and add some custom properties, This populates all the cut list parts with this information.

Learned something NEW! I use weldments a lot and for a long time. Somehow never realized this ability to mass-apply a new property thought the Weldment Feature RMC. NICE!

Kyle Blough

Matt,

Why don't you add the properties to the weldment template?  In the template, you can make all the properties you manually type added by default.  Once all the properties is filled (drawing template is updated), everything is auto filled without typing a thing.

On all my templates I do this, and the only thing I type for the weldment's is the dimension(s).  This saves a ton of time and it also eliminates the chance of a typing error.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Matt Juric

I did work with weldment templates but again, unless I'm doing something wrong, you can't get something like "SW file name" + "SW cut list name" to carry over to the part in the weldment. I can put the proper syntax into the template and that proper syntax even shows up on the parts in the cut list....but only as text.

What is really frustrating about it is that I can go into the text, add a space, enter, remove the same, enter....and it works and properly calls up file name plus cut list name. So if my template is "Plate" and I have this as a property $PRP:"SW-File Name""SW-CutListItemName@PLATE.SLDPRT" it shows up as $PRP:"SW-File Name""SW-CutListItemName@[new part].SLDPRT" in both the value and evaluated value. If I then go in add a space say  ""SW-     CutListItemName@[new part].SLDPRT", enter and then go back and delete that space the evaluated value shows correctly as "File name" + "Cut list name".

Sergio Monti

Matt Juric wrote:

Again, if there is a way to get there I've not been able to find it. There are two issues that seem to be the biggest problem. First is the "Part number" which would consist of the file name and cut list name. Second is the fact that it does not seem that a template for weldments carries over any items in the actual created weldment part. Each weldment requires the user to add all the characteristics to the main weldment after it's created.

for any input

Hi Matt,

I'm on SW2017, unfortunately there is not the possibility to add formulas to weldment cut list table.

You can only insert the a column called 'Part No' and assign to it the following:

But then I don't see any other solution than manually modify the cut list item names or create a macro to do it.

You could create a macro to run in the main assembly that traverses all the sub-assembly and changes the names.

I have a macro that traverses the main assembly and creates a weldment cut list of the entire assembly. If you are familiar with VBA, you could modify the attached macro to achieve what you need.

Matt Juric

Hi Matt,

I'm on SW2017, unfortunately there is not the possibility to add formulas to weldment cut list table.

You can only insert the a column called 'Part No' and assign to it the following:

I think this is what I'm struggling with and do not understand why it is not a standard function for weldments. I can past in ($PRP:"SW-File Name""SW-CutListItemName") into the properties of the cut list item and it evaluates properly. Seems like I should be able to place that in a weldment template and have it do the same...but it doesn't. In fact I can even place the same thing into the weldment properties icon and it doesn't even propagate to the newly created parts. The only way to actually have that work is to place it into every part on the cut list.

Ben Langdon

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/226715

Ok i ran into this same problem (although i read only half your post). P/N in a assembly are a little conviluted. i did figure it out and i did get the part number have the length in it and what not. let me know if this helps.

At my company someone was trying to do a weldment thing but with just parts and i'm like this is ridiculous, lets use a weldment, so i did and then my boss asked for weird things with the part numbers and i ended up getting it going to have new part numbers for every part even if they were the same part in the weldment.

Matt Juric

I don't think that will work for my application. The weldment part names are not connected to the configuration in my case. The part name is the name of the part plus the name of the cut list item.

For instance. I have two projects with weldments in them. Both weldments are made up of two plates which are the same in both weldments. Part one is called ABC123 part two is called 123ABC. The first weldment would have two pieces in it called ABC123-01 and ABC123-02. The second part would have two pieces in it called 123ABC-01 and 123ABC-02. ABC123-01 may be the same as 123ABC-01 but they will have different part numbers so I could not name them by configuration.

Kyle Blough

Matt,

I got "$PRP:"SW-File Name""SW-CutListItemName"" to show up in the cutlist using the properties of the weldment template.

Not sure how your template is setup, but there is two ways of doing this. 

1)  If your using a design table, create a new column and name it "$DESCRIPTION" without " " in row A.  In row B of the same column, add $PRP:"SW-File Name" - "SW-CutListItemName".

2)  Other way to do this, is to add a row in the part properties and name it "DESCRIPTION".  In Value / Text Expression, name it $PRP:"SW-File Name" - "SW-CutListItemName.

In your weldment, change the desired column to be Cut List Item Property > DESCRIPTION.  Name title box the name of the column you want.

Capture.PNG

Matt Juric

I'm not having a problem getting the information from the model to the drawing or the BOM/Cutlist on the drawing. My problem is getting it from a Model template to the actual part.

So If I create a part template with the weldment and add properties to it like this.

Then create a part using that template I get this...

If I add the same info into the weldment properties of the model like this....

When I create a part in the weldment and go to the properties in the cut list I get this...

More frustrating is if I edit the thing that isn't working above by simply adding a space, entering and removing it....it works. This means the syntax is fine and is even recognizable if you type it directly in, just not recognized. Seems like something like this should be "Fixed" with a rebuild or something. At this point getting to the Cutlist on the drawing works fine.

I should be able to place the $PRP:"SW-File Name" - "SW-CutListItemName" in the weldment properties of a weldment template file, create a file from that template, create parts/cuts in that file and have this information be in the cut list. Not having it this way means I have to add this characteristic to every part created in the weldment and that is No Bueno. This would not have to be done if I had a weldment created of individual parts and it was an assembly. I could add the "SW-File Name" to the Part Properties in the part template. It would be there when I created a part and could be put directly into the BOM Cut list on the drawing.

Ben Langdon

ok so here i think is the reason its not working for you.

configurations for weldments should only really be done with the parts changing length. if there are weldment bodies that are suppressed through the configurations, you should make a second weldment file.

also are you putting the weldment in an assembly and then making the drawing off that? or are you going straight from the weldment.

Matt Juric

I'm not sure if this is in response to Kyle or me, however.

The only configurations we use are "Machined" and "As welded", no parts get suppressed between the two only "Modified"/Machined.

The way we used to do weldments was not using SW weldment. We made an assembly drawing of the parts and the assembly was the weldment. We are trying to move to SW weldments for the very reason that we would no longer have to an assembly and a bunch of parts. So to answer your question more directly, in the past we would have a drawing of an assembly, today we only have a drawing of the part/weldment. We are not putting the weldment into an assembly and then trying to make a drawing of it.

To ask a further question if you do exactly as I do above do you get a different outcome? Do properties carry over from Template>Weldment>Cutlist? I only ask because it's always possible that something is just broken on my end.

Matt Juric

So I've been attempting to do what you have suggested and am still running into the some issues and I'm beginning to think it's at least partially a SW bug. Issues I'm having.

1) I can't open the design table in a new window and close/save it because SW thinks it's still open after closing it and locks up.

2) Nothing I use with a "$", $DESCRIPTION, $PARTNUMBER and so on,  shows up in the model made with the template. Anything I use a $PRP@[ANYTHING] does show up.

3) I tried a column header of $PRP@PARTNUMBER with  $PRP:"SW-File Name" - "SW-CutListItemName" in the row. Two problems with that.

a) every time you open the table it converts the "SW-File Name" to the current file name

b) it shows up in the model but only converts the "SW-File Name" portion not the cut list name.

So if my design table looks like this

My part comes out like this

Not Sure what to make of this at this point.

Kyle Blough

att,

I did little checking, and I gave you the wrong property of $DESCRIPTION when this should be $PRP@DESCRIPTION.  After you have that, should be able to see it in the cutlist properties

Capture.PNG

I suggest you make one file for all Bar sizes, all Plate, and all Sheet.  If you mix the designs (even though they are the same shape), you will run into this issue of file name. 

As for the @Part# at the end of "SW-CutListItemName", I am not sure what is going on.  I am using 2018, and I cannot reproduce that issue, so it could be a 2019 issue if that is your version.  Even though it shows the @Part#, did you throw the part into a drawing and try to change the cutlist column name?  What does the Evaluated column say?  Does it show $PRP:"SW-File Name" - "SW-CutListItemName@part9.sldprt"?Capture2.PNG

Matt Juric

I did little checking, and I gave you the wrong property of $DESCRIPTION when this should be $PRP@DESCRIPTION.  After you have that, should be able to see it in the cutlist properties

I was able to get it into the cutlist properties using $PARTNUMBER which is what we use in out Weldment Cut List Template.

I suggest you make one file for all Bar sizes, all Plate, and all Sheet.  If you mix the designs (even though they are the same shape), you will run into this issue of file name.

This may or may not be an issue. I don't really want to have every plate size we use as a configuration. We are talking a pretty significant, infinite'ish, number of configurations. What I have found, and seems to work, is that when you drop them in the weldment they end up under the same name/Cutlist item. If you change the name, drag the body out and update the list it fixes that issue. Not the most elegant solution but I think better than having 100K configurations.

As for the @Part# at the end of "SW-CutListItemName", I am not sure what is going on.  I am using 2018, and I cannot reproduce that issue, so it could be a 2019 issue if that is your version.  Even though it shows the @Part#, did you throw the part into a drawing and try to change the cutlist column name?  What does the Evaluated column say?  Does it show $PRP:"SW-File Name" - "SW-CutListItemName@part9.sldprt"?

I'm on 18' but only SP2. Creating a drawing pulls the number up just fine, it's just the wrong thing and not updated. See Below. It actually shows, in this case "Part19-SW-CutListitemName@Part19.SLDPRT". It evaluates the "SW-File Name" properly and converts it to "Part19" it just does not evaluate the "SW-CutListItemName". I'm seeing similar behavior with any property that is linked to the actual cut list part. "SW-Thickness" for example. In both cases the text is in the cut list property and in both cases if I edit the text it evaluates properly without changing anything.

Before editing the text.

before Editing

After Editing (I added a space. Clicked on another cell. Deleted the space.)

Daen Hendrickson

I am still using SW2014 SP5 so functions available to me are not current.

A few thoughts:

• File Custom Properties are accessible in the Weldment Cut List with the $PRP:"custompropertyname" syntax.
                                            • If you use file properties such as PartNumber you can access that instead of SW-FileName.
                                          • My results trying to access CutListItemName is the same as others in this thread.
                                          • I suggest adding the properties you want into the Weldment Profile Part Files, not the part template.
                                            • That way those properties get pulled in whenever you create a weldment - not just if you start a weldment with the proper part template.
                                          • You can rapidly access the Cut List Properties via the Property Tab. In Property Tab Builder you can create a specific template for weldments. If you click on the cut list in the feature tree this template will load and show the properties for > If the cut list is selected it shows common properties of all members; if a cut list item is selected the custom properties specific to it are shown.
                                            • You could rapidly append your cut list item name to your pre-filled $PRP:"PartNumber" data in the Property Tab. Doing so, however, replaces the formula with static text - if you were to later change the part number property the cut list data would no longer be linked and update.
                                          • If you have to create an individual part and add custom property data to each one, then the work to, instead, add that same data in a single part weldment is the same - and adding it through the Property tab can greatly speed the data entry phase of it.

I use weldment functionality exclusively. Weldments certainly have some issues - particularly in my dated version of the software. But I think the benefits they bring far outweigh the part/assembly workflow. The attached gives some indication of the complexity level of my weldment structures.

Here is a discussion -Accessing Part Custom Properties in the Weldment Cut List - that covers some similar topics.

Daen

Matt Juric

Thanks for all the great input. Could you clarify one thing for me?

"My results trying to access CutListItemName is the same as others in this thread."

Are you able to get CutListItemName to come across from the weldment template and evaluate properly or does it not evaluate properly. Kyle seems to be having success with this while I am not. I dropped a request to my VAR on this last night so I will see what they have to say about it.

I think I am 90% on the way to what I would like to do but with a few issues like CutListItemName and a few other properties. If I can figure those out I will be good to go. Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Daen Hendrickson

Matt,

To clarify - I am NOT having any success accessing CutListItemName. I have not even had intermittent success.

I have not pursued this before because I generally just name my cut list bodies (named with their part number). My workflow is to rename nearly all of my features and sketches. So renaming cut list bodies does not seem much of a burden to me due mostly to habit. However, if your property concatenation approach could be stabilized I would definitely take advantage of it.

Daen