AnsweredAssumed Answered

Seeking Advice: How to Keep Data Sets Separate

Question asked by Rob Condotta on Mar 24, 2009
Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 by 1-YJ1IM
Our site has a unique situation. Our office has been taken over by another company however we still have a close relationship with the old company. It's kind of like we have two different companies under one roof. Although the products of both companies are similar, and share common components, we need to have two separate inventories. So an M6 x 20 screw will have two part numbers, one for company A one for company B. Each part number stored in separate areas of the building. Parts for company A must never be used in an assembly for company B.

I'm looking for advice on how to keep the CAD files straight. We currently have a design library for off the shelf components like fasteners. Company A part numbers are custom properties in the library models. I figured for company B I'd create a new library B complete with company B part numbers.

I'm concerned that the other CAD users will use a part from library A in a company B assembly. How do I prevent this? They have a hard enough time figuring out when to take ownership of a part; but: I don't want to have to babysit them. Is it possible to have two separate concurrent vaults? When I'm working on something for company A, log into vault A; when working on something for company B, I log into company B?

Any thoughts????

Cheers,

Rob

Outcomes