6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 12:54 PM by Roland Schwarz

Dimension a spline

Alessandro Frattini
      Hi,
      it's possible to dimension a spline like the image attached ?
      I think no, but I'm not a guru on spline.

Thanks,

• Dimension a spline
          You should use Arc to construct the sketch and use Fit Spline function to convert it into a spline with small tolerance.
          • Dimension a spline
            Matt Lombard
            Actually, it almost is possible. You can right click on a spline and select Add Curvature Control, which allows you to specify the curvature in the PropertyManager at that point.

You can't use a dimension for the radius, you have to use the PropertyManager.

• Dimension a spline
                Alessandro Frattini

Matt Lombard wrote:

Actually, it almost is possible. You can right click on a spline and select Add Curvature Control, which allows you to specify the curvature in the PropertyManager at that point.

You can't use a dimension for the radius, you have to use the PropertyManager.

Thank you Matt,
                this solution is good.
                I can't dimension the radius of curvature, but it's good.

Thank you again.
              • Dimension a spline
                Will the curvature defined in PM affect each other when you try to define the radius one by one?
                  • Dimension a spline
                    Matt Lombard
                    I haven't seen them affect one another. Not that they couldn't. And you don't have much control over what distance the radius value is good for.

The arcs and Fit Spline method allows you to control that, but it is tough to get the fit spline to work with gaps between the arcs. If the arcs touch and you put a fit spline over them, you're gonna get possibly a kink in the spline, or at maybe a wild jump in the curvature comb.

The lower image shows a fit spline where the purple are arcs and the pink is the gap between the arcs where the spline bridges the gap. You gotta be careful, because SW doesn't allow you to control which end of the arc is connected, so you could easily get the spline following arc endpoints in the wrong order. It took me 4-5 tries to get this one right.